Last and (nearly) First!

mozart

This duo-build project is something that I've been thinking about for a while.  I've always wanted to build a Sea Fury so when Simon wanted to sell his Fisher one I snapped it up (I know Simon now regrets this sale since it was shortly before Paul Fisher's place burnt down in Paradise, sorry Simon!), and I rarely build jets but a Hunter has always appealed.  As the last Hawker piston-engined aircraft, and the first Hawker jet-engined aircraft, I thought they'd make a "nice pair"!

d07a2R.jpg

There is no need I think to add anything to the Sea Fury so this will be OOB,
2SnjFv.jpg

but the Hunter came with:

WCSNn3.jpg

a few additional goodies to which I've added the True Details F6 cockpit set.  I know the kit is an F9, but I'll be finishing it as an F6 (minor changes I understand) of 56 squadron.....thanks to Mike C for the decals.

Hoping to actually make a start in the next day or so.:frantic:

22 minutes ago, jumpjack said:

Don't forget  Hawker's first production jet , successor to the Sea Fury and  progenitor of the Hunter, the mighty  Sea Hawk!

You're right, I'd forgotten about the Seahawk......four years or so ahead of the Hunter!!!  Damn......oh well, last and (nearly) first! :huh:

• mozart changed the title to Last and (nearly) First!
1 minute ago, Breaker said:

Max, my latest Sea Fury is on the way from Miami as we speak :)

Great news Simon, so happy for you.....I felt quite guilty thinking of starting mine but I'll sleep easily now! :clap2:

20 minutes ago, mozart said:

You're right, I'd forgotten about the Seahawk......four years or so ahead of the Hunter!!!  Damn......oh well, last and (nearly) first! :huh:

Given German'y's use of the Sea Hawk and the  excellent Revell gmbh rendition of the Hunter, I live in hope of a 1/32 offering someday; there could be quite  decent interest (UK, Netherlands, West Germany, India).

On 7/7/2019 at 5:02 PM, mozart said:

...  a few additional goodies to which I've added the True Details F6 cockpit set.  I know the kit is an F9, but I'll be finishing it as an F6 (minor changes I understand) of 56 squadron.....thanks to Mike C for the decals.

Hoping to actually make a start in the next day or so.:frantic:

A pleasure Max, looking forward to seeing them put to good use.

As for the changes from an FGA9 to an F6: remove the parabrake housing over the tailpipe; lose the cut-out in the flap (to accommodate a larger drop tank on the 9); and change the seat to a Mk 3H (basically remove the thigh guards); and you're good to go.  Have fun.

:piliot:

Edited by MikeC

• 2 weeks later...

The Harvard is very nearly finished, so I made a start on the Hunter cockpit yesterday, spending a "happy" couple of hours cutting the resin casting blocks off the True Details items, whilst trying also not to break off any of the fine details:

pP87pb.jpg
n746g4.jpg
uoXI0J.jpg

The "instructions" are a bit frugal, I've been giving some thought about the best assembly procedure for the main tub and the side walls, favouring attaching the latter to the kit side walls rather than trying to make a whole assembly to drop into the fuselage. May change my mind yet though! :huh:

5 minutes ago, Breaker said:

I was undecided about getting that cockpit or not for my eventual Hunter rebuild but seeing some Hi-red photos, I think I'll have to. 

It looks very good “in the flesh” Simon, I’m looking forward to painting it all, planning to use MRP’s aqua range on top of a black-grey base coat.