1/32 Zoukei-Mura Ki-45 Nick

Bladerunner

15 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

That's not really what the inside of a piston looks like anyway, so I don't understand it either.

Could you please explain what you're referring to?  

After working on, tearing apart, and rebuilding dozens of aircraft radial piston engines, it sure looks like what I've seen inside these beasts.  Is everything there inside the crankcase?  Hell no, it's not a detailed cutaway model of the engine to be displayed outside the aircraft in and of itself.  The compression ring rendering on the pistons are a little large and the oil scraper ring is not rendered but the pistons are nicely done, the articulating rods are easily identified and nicely rendered and the master rod is done well.  The knuckle pin is not rendered and the valves aren't shown but with the costs involved and the designed level of detail, that's completely understandable.  Other than that, what's not looking like the inside of a piston (I think you mean cylinder as the inside of a piston is pretty much hollow).

6 minutes ago, Bladerunner said:

Here are the engines all done - ZM includes a way to make an engine holder to admire the engines from afar while you start on the cockpit.  Neat idea:

onOvTZj.jpg

iGSD8Rn.jpg

XXZGtfQ.jpg

Nicely done!

Cylinder is what I meant to say, but I had a finger-fart and typed piston.

I don't see the ports for the valves, for one, which you mentioned. I may not have broken down aircraft engines but I have done so with numerous air-cooled VW engines. But by your own statement above some details are missing or not rendered well so what is the point of showing them at all? It just seems like wasted effort on ZM's part.

I will agree with that... It does seem like a waste but I've noticed that ZM seems to do that with a lot of the engines they render.  I think I first noticed it on the R-3350 in the Skyraider kit and initially thought "why bother?"  It must be an OCD thing with ZM to include those details; that's all I can think of at this point...  Sorry about the build thread scope creep.

Working on the cockpit and I will have pics soon but just wanted to say... they included the linkages to the ailerons... all will be lost within the wings but they are there... and connected to the control column..

This is both insane and impressive at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Ok... so I skipped ahead on this one.  

dsc_0247-e1579922729741.jpg

I'm also having a terrible time with imgur... it keeps crashing on me.  Anyone else have these issues with that photo site?

I can easily say this is probably going to be the most detailed Nick we will ever see in regular kit form.  Very good model overall.  I was bogged down a bit at the end with the painting but it was worth it.  

I wrote up my build here Model Airplane Maker

Nice work! That really does look terrific

I cant seem to get to the MAM site (probably blocked from my works iron port) but how did make the camo pattern?   Im in process of the short nose night fighter build Ki-45, and was planning on making masks for the camo on my via my Silhouette cutter.