Sign in to follow this  
Jennings Heilig

Dear California: I'm sorry...

Posted (edited)

I gotta be honest - this is my first all day bench session in a very, very long time!  What happened to my 20/10 eyesight?  I have a real hard time seeing tiny stuff, even with many X magnification.  But I persevered, and having started the Tamiya 1/48 Il-2M3 this morning at 0830 (it's now 1945), I'm about 85% of the way there!  What a fantastic kit!  It literally almost builds itself.  The fit is absolutely perfect everywhere except where I sanded too much off the mating surfaces!  Just astounding.

At the risk of jinxing myself, note that I've managed not to lose the rudder mass balance arm on top of the fin!  I'm doing the FHCAM bird using my own stencils and laser printing the tiny serials on the front end of the landing gear knuckles.  The markings are super simple, and I like the fact that she's got a sort of "retro" camouflage pattern for an Il-2M3, harking back to the single seaters of 1941/42.  I'm assured by the folks up at Everett that that's the camo she had when she was pulled out of the lake in Russia.  

Going to try to finish her up tomorrow.  This is *straight* out of the box.  I did order a set of canopy masks so I don't have to cut all those ones Tamiya gives you in the box, but aside from that, including decal seat belts, it's going to be what's in the box.  

This model building stuff is fun, even if it does stink up the whole house... :)

Ia5byX.jpg

scy9bn.jpg

GItz5l.jpg

42884150575_d1b63e7fd8_b.jpg

Edited by Jennings Heilig

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

This model building stuff is fun,

Oh come on ...  seriously ??

sYTmL0T.jpg?1

;)

I've built that kit, I think it's one of the most impressive in terms of perfect fit that I've ever come across, before or since.   Didn't manage it quite as quick as you have though.  Looks to be coming along nicely.

5 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Yeah, but research and drawing doesn't stink up the house :)

You got windows?  I heard it was summertime in the US.

50 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

He's in Tucson,  the last thing he needs is an open window in the summertime.

8 minutes ago, Lee White said:

He's in Tucson,  the last thing he needs is an open window in the summertime.

I live in Australia.  If it's a choice between fumes, profusely sweating, or not building a model, I'll take the sweat every time.

2 hours ago, Gazzas said:

LOL... it was only 38C here today - cloudy.  Yesterday it was 41, tomorrow 42.  Not so much with the windows open.  Oh, and if you love blowing dust, I've got a deal for you!