How to replicate heavily faded NMF?

John1

On 7/9/2019 at 7:41 PM, Neo said:

Correct me if im wrong but that plane looks like its painted gray and bot nmf

Nope, it’s NMF that has been exposed to some very harsh elements, starting in 1945 when it was built.    A good comparison would be to check out one of those old school aluminum canoes that was stored in someone’s back yard for a decade or two.   The surface is close to matt grey but with a pronounced metallic sheen. 

Edited by John1

36 minutes ago, John1 said:

Nope, it’s NMF that has been exposed to done very harsh elements, starting in 1945 when it was built.    A good comparison would be to check out one of those old school aluminum canoes that was stored in someone’s back yard for a decade or two.   The surface is close to matt grey but with a pronounced metallic sheen. 

Interesting thank you for the info

Great topic.
Figure I'll throw in my 2¢ here based on my aircraft experience. Aluminum oxidizes while retaining some of it's metallic appearance. Pure aluminum oxide is white, but it has a "tooth" like fine sandpaper so it will become stained by the environment. What contaminant doesn't get blown off will accumulate in the recesses as seen in your photo.

I guess I’m gonna go with a flat aluminum mixed with flat very light grey and just tweak the ratio until I get something I like.   Hopefully glossing then applying the final flat coat won’t destroy the luster.   I might go with a dilute wash as well, per some of the recommendations provided.  

18 minutes ago, John1 said:

I guess I’m gonna go with a flat aluminum mixed with flat very light grey and just tweak the ratio until I get something I like.   Hopefully glossing then applying the final flat coat won’t destroy the luster.   I might go with a dilute wash as well, per some of the recommendations provided.  

Alclad makes their clear coat in a few different degrees of matte. You may want to look into that.