How to replicate heavily faded NMF?

John1

Title says it all.    I'm building a Korean War F-51D and these aircraft had the crap kicked out them.   Here's an example of what I'm trying to replicate:

136289006-02bg5aqm-adsc_7314x.jpg

What are your suggestions for something like this?  Keep in mind, if it's a flat aluminum paint, will I be able to gloss it for decals and then overcoat to restore it's dull finish?

If you are foiling, some egg shells in with some pre-grained foil in water (shiny side down of course), for just a few minutes then a quick blast of flat or semi-flat. Works like a charm. 

12 hours ago, Neo said:

Correct me if im wrong but that plane looks like its painted gray and bot nmf

I could be wrong too, but it actually does appear to be NMF, just heavily dulled by time and weather. You can see areas where the stars and bars/codes have been scratched off, and the same gray looking surface is perfectly represented under them, with no change in color or wearing of the gray color.

Just paint it flat aluminum.  Make a slurry of brown mixed with yellow and thinned heavily, and mist over the whole plane. Then, like suggested above, go back with a brush and add brown, tan, and rust washes to parts of the aircraft.