Martin Pegg's "Henschel Hs 129 Panzerjäger"

D.B. Andrus

I bought one ...

Hard to find any decently sized hard cover textbook for less that $100 AUD these days.

Most of my hard cover Panzer stuff from Osprey was $75+

... Some of which (authored by Robert Forczyk - another one of those "reinvent history" twits), I regret taking the punt on!

The Classics release by Martin Pegg is considered by most out there to be the best Hs.129 reference going around.

... And since I like the Ju.87, 88 and Fw.190 books in the same series - I would have loved to improve my collection.

It arrived yesterday ... safe and sound ... 

This is basically a revised work, by the same author, including new material.

... And ... at 60 GBP, it's available for a LOT less than the original release is online ... if you can find one for sale.

The last one I saw on eBay went for triple that value.

As a bonus ... even without the dust jacket (which I was initially disappointed about - but built a bridge as you do) ... it sits just only about 10mm shorter than the original Classics books do.

I had somehow thought that, with Richards description, it would be much smaller.

I feel, since its designed as a reference work - not JUST for modelers ... it has something for everyone.

I like it :D ... and it's well worth the cash I shelled out for it ...

I'm looking forward to the Ar.234 and He.219 books to be released ...

Rog :)

3 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

What is your definition of a proper review? I've never seen any hard and fast rules regarding hobby item related reviews.

Well, one that satisfies the criteria I mention for a start?

12 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

Well, one that satisfies the criteria I mention for a start?

Nick ... Just flicking through it, I don't think that this book will satisfy your criteria ...

Maybe the Kagero book? ... or the Wolowski book? Both are loads cheaper ... reflecting the limited content.

Both just kind of stick with profiles - suitable for a modelling only, quick reference guide.

This book is a fairly comprehensive work.

Does anyone one have both old and new copies?   Is there a ton of more information or is it rather limited?   Worth it to pick it up if you have the earlier volume?  

Last point.  I believe there was a small chapter mentioning a surviving cockpit section in the first edition.  Is there anything added to this chapter?   Just curious.  I sat in the cockpit back in the 80’s when it was at a museum in northern Illinois.   Victory Air museum?   They had some really odd items there.  The Hs 129 cockpit was one of them.   

Thanks for your opinion.   

Troy 

2 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Does anyone one have both old and new copies?   Is there a ton of more information or is it rather limited?   Worth it to pick it up if you have the earlier volume?  

Last point.  I believe there was a small chapter mentioning a surviving cockpit section in the first edition.  Is there anything added to this chapter?   Just curious.  I sat in the cockpit back in the 80’s when it was at a museum in northern Illinois.   Victory Air museum?   They had some really odd items there.  The Hs 129 cockpit was one of them.   

Thanks for your opinion.   

Troy 

there is a lot of new information, especially on Rumanian use, and many new photos. I couldn't tell you much about the surviving cockpit section chapter, but I don't think there's a great deal of new info - it is however a footnote to the main meat of the book.

The book is and will be the definitive resource for the next twenty years, and that's not something I say lightly.

8 hours ago, Artful69 said:

I bought one ...

Hard to find any decently sized hard cover textbook for less that $100 AUD these days.

Most of my hard cover Panzer stuff from Osprey was $75+

... Some of which (authored by Robert Forczyk - another one of those "reinvent history" twits), I regret taking the punt on!

The Classics release by Martin Pegg is considered by most out there to be the best Hs.129 reference going around.

... And since I like the Ju.87, 88 and Fw.190 books in the same series - I would have loved to improve my collection.

It arrived yesterday ... safe and sound ... 

This is basically a revised work, by the same author, including new material.

... And ... at 60 GBP, it's available for a LOT less than the original release is online ... if you can find one for sale.

The last one I saw on eBay went for triple that value.

As a bonus ... even without the dust jacket (which I was initially disappointed about - but built a bridge as you do) ... it sits just only about 10mm shorter than the original Classics books do.

I had somehow thought that, with Richards description, it would be much smaller.

I feel, since its designed as a reference work - not JUST for modelers ... it has something for everyone.

I like it :D ... and it's well worth the cash I shelled out for it ...

I'm looking forward to the Ar.234 and He.219 books to be released ...

cheers Rog

a couple of people mentioned the lack of dust jacket, but I just felt the need to dispense with it. They always become torn or tatty in the end in my opinion.

Everyone has loved the content of the book, so thanks for adding to the positive reviews!

20 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Thanks Rich

To be honest I'm still on the fence; the whole history bit beforehand is just fluff in my view and doesn't belong there.

Presumably the book will sell out before anyone actually puts out a *proper* review and accurately summarizes contents and chapters etc... if so my loss but I'll sit and wait I think.

reviews (hopefully) forthcoming in the next few months:

Iron Cross Magazine (UK)

Air Classics Magazine (USA)

Aeroplane Monthly Magazine (UK)

Thanks guys

here’s a basic question which I think I would expect it to answer:

what were the sizes of the main and tail wheels, and did they change over the course of production?

in the same vein, what was the specification of the propellers, and did they ever change?

off the top of my head I know the Vasco book on the Me110 C, D and E answers the wheel question for that aircraft, and is my benchmark reference book when it comes to an airframe. 

It’s a high bar to compare every ref book to that one (and of course I make allowances for price), but also a useful one.

So this is the sort of thing I would expect to see in there if that helps to ‘get where I’m coming from’.

cheers

Nick

Edited by nmayhew

35 minutes ago, richdlc said:

... a couple of people mentioned the lack of dust jacket, but I just felt the need to dispense with it. They always become torn or tatty in the end in my opinion ...

lol ... Like I said Rich, I built a bridge ...

Presentation is one thing, but what would that mean if the content wasn't there? ... This book has the content nailed down.

If the rest of your publications follow the same format It will form a great collection!

Really looking forward to the next lot.

Damn.  I need this how?   The price is right.  We won’t see anything as Rich mentions for likely years to come.   I can always sell my older edition.   Hmmmmm.  

Rich,  will the He 162 Spatz ever be rereleased?   

7 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

Damn.  I need this how?   The price is right.  We won’t see anything as Rich mentions for likely years to come.   I can always sell my older edition.   Hmmmmm.  

Rich,  will the He 162 Spatz ever be rereleased?   

if it is it won't be by me... Crecy owns the Classic back cat...

feel free to purchase LOL