Some armour builds

BloorwestSiR

Next up I built the recent Meng Jagdpanther.

IMG_20190601_220357-L.jpg

This is a really nice kit, especially for the price.

Our kitty watching me build a kitty.

IMG_20190603_165447-L.jpg

I did the zimmerit by hand using Vallejo putty.

IMG_20190603_205449-L.jpg

IMG_20190608_195312-L.jpg

IMG_20190609_191435-L.jpg

There was some trial and error but I'm happy with the final results

I didn't use the kit tracks but went with some I swiped out of my Rye Field Panther instead.

IMG_20190615_131802-L.jpg

IMG_20190616_015508-L.jpg

MVIMG_20190625_165723-L.jpg

IMG_20190625_165734-L.jpg

IMG_20190625_165746-L.jpg

A size comparison between the two:

MVIMG_20190625_165914-L.jpg

A pair of fun builds that I was able to just work through.

Carl

11 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I really like the Jagdpanther. Why did you stop short with the zimmerit on the hull sides?

Overall I like the build EXCEPT for the zimmerit. It is just too uneven for my liking. I haven't seen any pics of real zim where the grooves are that out of line; some waviness yes, but not to that extent. I think the issue is trying to run a groove all the way across instead of in sections as a person may have done. In real life you wouldn't be able to make it continuous as your arms simply could not stretch enough to reach to each end point in one movement. And stopping short like that would defeat the purpose of the zimmerit.

10 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Carl..

EXEMPLARY work.  :clap2:

AWESOME models. :wow:

I think trying something different keeps the Mojo going 

and it refreshes those parts that beers can't!  :evil_laugh::wicked::beer4:

beautiful build.

:goodjob:

:bow:

Thanks Maru! I think changing things up once in a while really does help keep my interest at the bench up.

8 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I really like the Jagdpanther. Why did you stop short with the zimmerit on the hull sides?

Thanks Kevin! When I looked at pics of the tank, it looked like the zimmerit wasn't applied where the tool racks were all originally mounted so I left it off there. 

7 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

Overall I like the build EXCEPT for the zimmerit. It is just too uneven for my liking. I haven't seen any pics of real zim where the grooves are that out of line; some waviness yes, but not to that extent. I think the issue is trying to run a groove all the way across instead of in sections as a person may have done. In real life you wouldn't be able to make it continuous as your arms simply could not stretch enough to reach to each end point in one movement. And stopping short like that would defeat the purpose of the zimmerit.

Thanks CAT! Your comments about the waviness make sense to me. Something I hadn't thought of when I did the zimmerit. I'll have to definitely keep that in mind on my next attempt. 

As the unit was known to have removed the tool racks ,would they have then applied zimmerit to the missing areas?  Or would it have been applied under the racks? I can see in several pics it's absent from under the spare track links. 

It was absent under the area of the tool rack itself, as it was presumed there wasn't sufficient room for a magnetic mine to stick there I suppose, but the zimmerit did continue in between that rack all the way back and under the hangers for the spare track, albeit with a slight bit of room just under those hangers to allow replacement if needed without having to damage the surrounding zimmerit. You don't want a big space like that in reach of an infantryman with a bag of explosives.

To me the hardest part about DIY zimmerit is getting a realistic scale thickness that will actually stick to the plastic and not whatever tool you're using as the actual paste was only a bit over 5mm thick when applied and ridging it only made it a little more thick, so think how thick that is in 1/35 scale!

Here's something to look at if you want to try your hand again:

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/articles/tech/zimmerit-in-german-use/

And examples of patterns and the vehicles they were specific to:

https://panzerworld.com/zimmerit

Oh, and something I just noticed and want to mention: The Germans were generally good about maintaining their equipment, and normally would paint tools and other hardware with a protective black lacquer; so the shovel, jack, the towing hook hanging in front, bolt cutter blades, and so on should be black with metallic chipping appropriate to how they are used, if they've even been used yet. Although that tow hook would definitely show wear at that point of contact it's hanging from just from swing back and forth from the tank's movement. If the crew has used their shovel as often as I've used mine in the past year, they could probably return it for store credit as an unwanted gift and noone would ever know.

And if by chance you do anymore Panther types and the kit has the the exhaust piece with three barrels on it, ONLY RUST THE CENTER BARREL! The outer two are cooling intakes; they do not suffer heat corrosion--just normal corrosion from dings, dents, and paint chipping.

Edited by CATCplSlade