Jump to content
Trak-Tor

Midway - a new Roland Emmerich's movie...

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dmthamade said:

Have to say, if I want absolute accuracy on a subject, a well researched and presented documentary is preferable. A Hollywood movie....is entertainment, good or bad. I'll probably watch this one for the "pew pew" factor.

 

Don

Agreed...I use the sore bum method of movie rating. If I find my butt getting stiff and sore during a movie, the movie is bad....if I get up at the end of the movie and my butt is sore but I didn’t notice during the movie it was a good movie....either way I get a sore butt I guess but I can tolerate one with entertainment.

No sore butt during any Lord Of The Rings instalments. What’s that mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2019 at 1:33 AM, chrish said:

Agreed...I use the sore bum method of movie rating. If I find my butt getting stiff and sore during a movie, the movie is bad....if I get up at the end of the movie and my butt is sore but I didn’t notice during the movie it was a good movie....either way I get a sore butt I guess but I can tolerate one with entertainment.

No sore butt during any Lord Of The Rings instalments. What’s that mean?

 

That's a good test

 

No sore bum after the three hours of Avengers End Game for me either...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 7:46 AM, Shoggz said:

 

That's a good test

 

No sore bum after the three hours of Avengers End Game for me either...

 

I made it three minutes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 7:47 AM, alaninaustria said:

Looks like shiite... will pass... right up there with that other Pearl Harbor movie... 

I just watched the movie Dauntless.

 

I wish I hadn't. It was more than enough to make me want to book into Dignitas in Switzerland.

 

Matty

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the trailer and I am not very excited unfortunately, where are the movies like Tora Tora Tora? that is to say with real airplanes and / or models? today they abuse the CGI a lot (their thing is to mix real models with CGI in their fair measure) I will see it equally but unfortunately hollywood ... does not strive to do historical realism and realism in general (I do not want to enter into polemic) it's just my thoughts

And for the record, my favorite film genre is war cinema, I love war movies / thrillers and documentaries

Example of this (regardless of whether it is aviation or not)

 

 

Black hawk down: (masterpiece of modern war cinema  simply this movie tells what happened in Mogadishu with great fidelity, there is neither good nor bad (it is not the typical American pamphlet of cheap patriotism)

 

For all the americans of the forum , don't be mad at me (I adore the Americans, they are great people (obviously rude and stupid people exist in every country in the world) and the US war machine is one of my favorites, whenever I want referring to cheap patriotism I was referring to all the countries that use the films to make them a propaganda pamphlet and not to tell about serious and rigorous facts, be it the United States, Canada, Spain, France, Australia, Germany, Kingdom United, Russia, Japan, I don't care what country it is, I don't like the story being misrepresented, I like realism and rigor.

I wanted to make it clear, I don't want my words to be misunderstood, I don't want them to think that I hate americans.

 

I do not hate anyone

 

Zero Dark thirty:  masterpiece of modern espionage and war cinema

Lone Survivor (there are still inaccuracies in history,Chinook's demolition scene is really fake, I don't understand how marcus luttrell allowed that scene to be done)

American Sniper (simply superb)

Tora Tora Tora

K-19: The Widowmaker

The battle of Midway (1976)

Dunkirk: Incredible as it may seem (I am not a fan of Nolan, the two scenes of dogfight that are there are the most realistic that I have seen, without epic music, or unnecessary dialogues, only pilots focused on demolishing their objectives) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpozdpqHmwQ

 

 

 

Documentaries:

 

Combat Obscura

Restrepo

Korengal

 

 

Among many more documentaries and movies

Edited by Mel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mel said:

I saw the trailer and I am not very excited unfortunately, where are the movies like Tora Tora Tora? that is to say with real airplanes and / or models? today they abuse the CGI a lot (their thing is to mix real models with CGI in their fair measure) I will see it equally but unfortunately hollywood ... does not strive to do historical realism and realism in general (I do not want to enter into polemic) it's just my thoughts

And for the record, my favorite film genre is war cinema, I love war movies / thrillers and documentaries

Example of this (regardless of whether it is aviation or not)

 

 

Black hawk down

Zero Dark thirty

Lone Survivor (there are still inaccuracies in history)

American Sniper

Tora Tora Tora

K-19: The Widowmaker

The battle of Midway (1976)

Dunkirk: Incredible as it may seem (I am not a fan of Nolan, the two scenes of dogfight that are there are the most realistic that I have seen, without epic music, or unnecessary dialogues, only pilots focused on demolishing their objectives) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpozdpqHmwQ

 

 

 

Documentaries:

 

Combat Obscura

Restrepo

Korengal

 

 

Among many more documentaries and movies

Don't forget "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched that second trailer.  Some shots look very good.  Some look horrible, and some are positively ridiculous.  The overall look and fabric of the film is "off" and would have benefitted from better artistic direction.  

 

But who am I kidding? I will end up watching this and then I will get the itch to build something from the war in the Pacific.

 

Might move me to work on a Tamiya 1/32 Zero!

 

Might even make my dust off my 1/350 Hiryu aircraft carrier kit from Fujimi!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

 

Is that supposed to be a TBD caring both bombs AND a torpedo?

 

 *sigh*
 

I can only assume the cgi people knew this was wrong, only to have the director say something like "You know what would look good here? A couple of bombs hanging from the wings!".

 

Most of the rest of the effects are the same sort of hyped up rubbish, but there is one small thing for which I have to give them credit:

 

fyhVr9v.jpg

 

This is one of the few depictions of "the fatal five minutes" that correctly shows Akagi with only a single shotai of fighters on deck. So, bully for that, I guess.    

 

Edited by coogrfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The two little hooks holding the bomb too, haha. Yeh I'm gunna stick to playing warthunder and world of warships rather than see this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...