Midway - a new Roland Emmerich's movie...

Trak-Tor

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2019 at 7:47 AM, alaninaustria said:

Looks like shiite... will pass... right up there with that other Pearl Harbor movie... 

I just watched the movie Dauntless.

I wish I hadn't. It was more than enough to make me want to book into Dignitas in Switzerland.

Matty

I saw the trailer and I am not very excited unfortunately, where are the movies like Tora Tora Tora? that is to say with real airplanes and / or models? today they abuse the CGI a lot (their thing is to mix real models with CGI in their fair measure) I will see it equally but unfortunately hollywood ... does not strive to do historical realism and realism in general (I do not want to enter into polemic) it's just my thoughts

And for the record, my favorite film genre is war cinema, I love war movies / thrillers and documentaries

Example of this (regardless of whether it is aviation or not)

Black hawk down: (masterpiece of modern war cinema  simply this movie tells what happened in Mogadishu with great fidelity, there is neither good nor bad (it is not the typical American pamphlet of cheap patriotism)

For all the americans of the forum , don't be mad at me (I adore the Americans, they are great people (obviously rude and stupid people exist in every country in the world) and the US war machine is one of my favorites, whenever I want referring to cheap patriotism I was referring to all the countries that use the films to make them a propaganda pamphlet and not to tell about serious and rigorous facts, be it the United States, Canada, Spain, France, Australia, Germany, Kingdom United, Russia, Japan, I don't care what country it is, I don't like the story being misrepresented, I like realism and rigor.

I wanted to make it clear, I don't want my words to be misunderstood, I don't want them to think that I hate americans.

I do not hate anyone

Zero Dark thirty:  masterpiece of modern espionage and war cinema

Lone Survivor (there are still inaccuracies in history,Chinook's demolition scene is really fake, I don't understand how marcus luttrell allowed that scene to be done)

American Sniper (simply superb)

Tora Tora Tora

K-19: The Widowmaker

The battle of Midway (1976)

Dunkirk: Incredible as it may seem (I am not a fan of Nolan, the two scenes of dogfight that are there are the most realistic that I have seen, without epic music, or unnecessary dialogues, only pilots focused on demolishing their objectives) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpozdpqHmwQ

Documentaries:

Combat Obscura

Restrepo

Korengal

Among many more documentaries and movies

Edited by Mel

3 hours ago, Mel said:

I saw the trailer and I am not very excited unfortunately, where are the movies like Tora Tora Tora? that is to say with real airplanes and / or models? today they abuse the CGI a lot (their thing is to mix real models with CGI in their fair measure) I will see it equally but unfortunately hollywood ... does not strive to do historical realism and realism in general (I do not want to enter into polemic) it's just my thoughts

And for the record, my favorite film genre is war cinema, I love war movies / thrillers and documentaries

Example of this (regardless of whether it is aviation or not)

Black hawk down

Zero Dark thirty

Lone Survivor (there are still inaccuracies in history)

American Sniper

Tora Tora Tora

K-19: The Widowmaker

The battle of Midway (1976)

Dunkirk: Incredible as it may seem (I am not a fan of Nolan, the two scenes of dogfight that are there are the most realistic that I have seen, without epic music, or unnecessary dialogues, only pilots focused on demolishing their objectives) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpozdpqHmwQ

Documentaries:

Combat Obscura

Restrepo

Korengal

Among many more documentaries and movies

Don't forget "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo"

Just watched that second trailer.  Some shots look very good.  Some look horrible, and some are positively ridiculous.  The overall look and fabric of the film is "off" and would have benefitted from better artistic direction.  

But who am I kidding? I will end up watching this and then I will get the itch to build something from the war in the Pacific.

Might move me to work on a Tamiya 1/32 Zero!

Might even make my dust off my 1/350 Hiryu aircraft carrier kit from Fujimi!

20 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Is that supposed to be a TBD caring both bombs AND a torpedo?

*sigh*

I can only assume the cgi people knew this was wrong, only to have the director say something like "You know what would look good here? A couple of bombs hanging from the wings!".

Most of the rest of the effects are the same sort of hyped up rubbish, but there is one small thing for which I have to give them credit:

fyhVr9v.jpg

This is one of the few depictions of "the fatal five minutes" that correctly shows Akagi with only a single shotai of fighters on deck. So, bully for that, I guess.    

Edited by coogrfan