Midway - a new Roland Emmerich's movie...

Trak-Tor

4 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

I heard a famous pilot once say that the only true parts of Top Gun were that there is a program called Top Gun and that they fly planes. All else was Hollywood. And that they probably would have retired Cruise's character from combat duty before he was 50.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/79-cringe-worthy-technical-errors-in-the-movie-top-gun

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta say, loaded CGI movies turn me off in general.  "Red Tails" was prime example of a movie that had a ton of potential, but turned out to be a horrible film with CGI that made things look very unrealistic. 

About the only thing that would change that for me, is a day sometime in the future where the best CGI finally gets fully and completely indistinguishable from the real deal.  Im betting if that happens, it will be a long while.   

I'm not gonna say I'm gonna pass.  I might not get it on Pay per view, or go see it at the theater...  but it's a war movie!  ....and I have cable!  If it shows up, I'll watch it.

Gotta face it...  It's either gonna be CGI or nothing.  Any surviving gear is in private collections or museums.  Dunkirk had some real planes, and the flight sequences were pathetic.  Seven or eight planes in a sky that was historically full of squadrons.

Anyway...  someone made the effort to make a war movie.  God bless em'!

Gaz

3 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

CGI is one thing.

Crappy CGI that does not attempt to duplicate the reality of what it is replacing is another.

I don't disagree with you...  but if it comes to watching repeats of NCIS LA or a war movie I haven't seen before...   

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 10:53 AM, cbk57 said:

I skipped the trailer, but am inclined to give the movie a chance.  Accuracy buffs for years have shredded the movie fly boys, I really liked it and have watched several times.  If we relied on the movie industry for accuracy we would not watch very many movies of any kind.  There are “accuracy buffs”.that criticize the various inconsistencies in Star Wars which is complete fiction to begin with.  Now I tried a recent movie about the Tokyo Raid on Amazon or Showtime last weekend and the B-25 mockups were so bad, I turned it off after 5 minutes.  But I will give Midway a shot until proven to be just a bad movie.  I may not go to see it in the Theater as I usually don’t go see war flicks unless my family are out of town and I am on my own.  I went to Dunkirk.  I saw Saving Private Ryan in the theater also which was amazing.  

Somebody above commented that this is the same director that did “The Day After Tomorrow..”. I happened to really like that movie and have seen it more than once as it is often on the likes of TBS, so the director is not inherently a negative to me.  

I have one must see movie this year Ford vs Ferrari(about the Ford LeMan win and the GT-40 program).  Already told my wife I am going to that one no matter what.  The only thing stopping me from seeing Ford vs. Ferrari will be my death or a stroke.  Otherwise I will be there.

Your approach of simply watching the movie and judging later is a sensible one!

But my criticisms of the trailer have nothing to do with pedantic rivet counting accuracy, as is common at boards like this one.

It just looks like a God awful movie.

Have to say, if I want absolute accuracy on a subject, a well researched and presented documentary is preferable. A Hollywood movie....is entertainment, good or bad. I'll probably watch this one for the "pew pew" factor.

Don

1 hour ago, dmthamade said:

Have to say, if I want absolute accuracy on a subject, a well researched and presented documentary is preferable. A Hollywood movie....is entertainment, good or bad. I'll probably watch this one for the "pew pew" factor.

Don

Agreed...I use the sore bum method of movie rating. If I find my butt getting stiff and sore during a movie, the movie is bad....if I get up at the end of the movie and my butt is sore but I didn’t notice during the movie it was a good movie....either way I get a sore butt I guess but I can tolerate one with entertainment.

No sore butt during any Lord Of The Rings instalments. What’s that mean?

On 8/4/2019 at 1:33 AM, chrish said:

Agreed...I use the sore bum method of movie rating. If I find my butt getting stiff and sore during a movie, the movie is bad....if I get up at the end of the movie and my butt is sore but I didn’t notice during the movie it was a good movie....either way I get a sore butt I guess but I can tolerate one with entertainment.

No sore butt during any Lord Of The Rings instalments. What’s that mean?

That's a good test

No sore bum after the three hours of Avengers End Game for me either...