Midway - a new Roland Emmerich's movie...

Trak-Tor

“No chance Paddles, take it around on the starboard side.”

You said the above when you F’d up a carrier approach so bad you just cried uncle and spun out to try again. I mean grossly bad. 

This movie invokes this saying....”no chance”.

FOD//

12 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

Oh, I don't know. Maybe the movie 'Dauntless'?

ETC

And if you don't like the content of the Emmerich movie, it will make the CG/2mins of actual footage  cashin on the Midway (also adrift/men of courage ..Yuk and Yuk btw ) release  of this look positively exceptional ...

Edited by Markjames1968

I skipped the trailer, but am inclined to give the movie a chance.  Accuracy buffs for years have shredded the movie fly boys, I really liked it and have watched several times.  If we relied on the movie industry for accuracy we would not watch very many movies of any kind.  There are “accuracy buffs”.that criticize the various inconsistencies in Star Wars which is complete fiction to begin with.  Now I tried a recent movie about the Tokyo Raid on Amazon or Showtime last weekend and the B-25 mockups were so bad, I turned it off after 5 minutes.  But I will give Midway a shot until proven to be just a bad movie.  I may not go to see it in the Theater as I usually don’t go see war flicks unless my family are out of town and I am on my own.  I went to Dunkirk.  I saw Saving Private Ryan in the theater also which was amazing.  

Somebody above commented that this is the same director that did “The Day After Tomorrow..”. I happened to really like that movie and have seen it more than once as it is often on the likes of TBS, so the director is not inherently a negative to me.  

I have one must see movie this year Ford vs Ferrari(about the Ford LeMan win and the GT-40 program).  Already told my wife I am going to that one no matter what.  The only thing stopping me from seeing Ford vs. Ferrari will be my death or a stroke.  Otherwise I will be there.

Edited by cbk57

1 hour ago, cbk57 said:

I have one must see movie this year Ford vs Ferrari(about the Ford LeMan win and the GT-40 program).  Already told my wife I am going to that one no matter what.  The only thing stopping me from seeing Ford vs. Ferrari will be my death or a stroke.  Otherwise I will be there.

That one is on my to see list also.

Jerry

Just watched the trailer, screw accuracy, I am watching this one, looks like fun.  I like accuracy, don’t get me wrong, but I can also be entertained.  This looks to me like it has high entertainment value.  If I really have to know the facts I can watch a documentary or read a book.  I well remember Tora Tora Tora and the original Midway and they always drove me nuts because they would insert canned combat footage that was not necessarily accurate either.  No one can do a re-enactment of Midway with real planes so I will tolerate CGI.  It should look good in the Theater and I may go.  I will definitely watch this though at some point.

Edited by cbk57

At least with CGI they can seamlessly morph the transitions of aircraft type flown and crashed by the character Heston played in the original film :D.  I didn't mind the use of modern (at the time of filming) tanks in "The Battle of the Bulge", since they used those tanks throughout (I should add a caveat about the turret being blown off Telly Savalas' tank with no casualties being a little too much), but using real footage of three different aircraft to represent Heston's last flight & crash was the crowning moment in a really crappy movie.

12 hours ago, cbk57 said:

...  I well remember Tora Tora Tora and the original Midway and they always drove me nuts because they would insert canned combat footage that was not necessarily accurate either.  ...

Personally I'd rather see the library film any day, regardless of how many films it's been used in.  The CGI just looks so unrealistic to me - has anyone in the CGI department never been told about formations, formation discipline and procedures, etc etc?  A random mass of aircraft far too close to each other just ruins this type of film for me. 

But each to their own, and I genuinely hope Midway does meet your expectations and you enjoy it.

Edited by MikeC

I'm really looking for this one. Expecting more or less the same kind of entertainment as with 2001 Pearl Harbor :D

Maybe I will get some motivation to build Trumpy Dauntless. And many people will at least realise for the first time what Midway or Battle of Midway was about

Hopefully some of them will read at least wiki article about it

jan

7 hours ago, MikeC said:

The CGI just looks so unrealistic to me - has anyone in the CGI department never been told about formations, formation discipline and procedures, etc etc?  A random mass of aircraft far too close to each other just ruins this type of film for me. 

That's the issue I have too. The artists spend so much time creating realistic renderings of aircraft (for the most part) and then have no idea how they move in the air. Do they not have advisors to assist? It's disappointing to see aircraft flit around like over-caffeinated hummingbirds. And yes, strafing a street at fire-hydrant level is cringe inducing...and not in a good way.

I get the impression that they are trying to appeal to the action/adventure movie types, and the younger crowd who are used to the comic book hero franchises. On some levels it's wonderful that the movie might introduce them to some history, and make them curious.

I'm afraid we're not the target audience. I will likely go see it, after all, how many war movies do we get to see on the big screen? I think if you can do it with your historian's glasses put away, it might be tolerable. I have a feeling though that I will drive anyone I go to see it with crazy, I won't be able to help it.

And don't get me started on an almost 60-year old Tom Cruise in another Top Gun...although...Jennifer Connelly is in it...

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

It does not matter what the movies is about, if you are a subject matter expert, you will often find that Hollywood does not get it right.  You need to go into it with lower expectations.  With Midway I am looking for entertainment, not a documentary.  If someone should come along and be accurate as well, then I would enjoy that also, however I am not going to set a high accuracy bar and not let myself enjoy a movie.

3 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

I get the impression that they are trying to appeal to the action/adventure movie types, and the younger crowd who are used to the comic book hero franchises. On some levels it's wonderful that the movie might introduce them to some history, and make them curious.

Unfortunately, from my experience as a high school teacher after films like Dunkirk, Fury, Red Tails, and so on, most all the kids who watched them came away with the wrong impressions, concentrated only on the 'cool' fight scenes (pew pew pew), or complained about them being boring (that mostly for Dunkirk). VERY few actually turn the movie experience into a quest for further knowledge. For a small group it reinforces their belief that all white men are violent Imperialists who need to go extinct. At one time I wanted to pick up certification to teach History, but it seems more like a fight to overcome the slide into idiocy that has been going on and most admins will not back you up as half of them don't know history either.

3 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

And don't get me started on an almost 60-year old Tom Cruise in another Top Gun...although...Jennifer Connelly is in it...

Richard

I heard a famous pilot once say that the only true parts of Top Gun were that there is a program called Top Gun and that they fly planes. All else was Hollywood. And that they probably would have retired Cruise's character from combat duty before he was 50.

5 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

That's the issue I have too. The artists spend so much time creating realistic renderings of aircraft (for the most part) and then have no idea how they move in the air. Do they not have advisors to assist? It's disappointing to see aircraft flit around like over-caffeinated hummingbirds. And yes, strafing a street at fire-hydrant level is cringe inducing...and not in a good way.

I'm afraid we're not the target audience. I will likely go see it, after all, how many war movies do we get to see on the big screen? I think if you can do it with your historian's glasses put away, it might be tolerable. I have a feeling though that I will drive anyone I go to see it with crazy, I won't be able to help it.

Richard

Exactly. The problem isn't CGI, it's how it's being used. 

An example of what can be done when the folks involved know something about flight physics: 

Edited by coogrfan