mozart

eBay idiocy!!

Whilst browsing this morning I saw a Flightpath Hawker Hunter display set (trolley, cradle, gun pack etc) on eBay.  One of my next builds is the Revell Hunter + a few extra goodies, so I placed a silly bid having first established that the same item can be bought new from Flightpath for the princely sum of circa £26.00 incl VAT and postage.  The ebay item has just gone for £36.00 incl. postage!!  I'm staggered at the stupidity of people.  I didn't get the bargain I hoped for, but I'll buy the set anyway and there's a great build instruction on good old LSP which I've copied and printed!! 

I remember a couple of years back selling a Tamiya 1/48 F-14A with all the Eduard Brassin, cockpit, weapon set, wheels, burner cans, masks and some decals by I cant remember who. Anyway, I put a pretty competitive buy it now price on it and watched in amazement as something I thought wasn't possible occurred. I thought once the bidding nears the buy it now price someone would say to hell with it and use the buy it now function to be done with it. No, they got that blinkered in their little bidding war that they sailed past the buy it now which I didnt think was possible. My buy it now price was £99 and it went for just under £125. Pretty much made my money back on the outlay for the kit and aftermarket on that.

1 hour ago, kalashnikov-47 said:

Is it possible the bidder is from overseas?   Ebay masks bidders identities so it could be a possibility.

It is possible of course, but the international postage rate was £10.50........:o

1 hour ago, mozart said:

It is possible of course, but the international postage rate was £10.50........:o

Depending on where you live overseas, £10.50 could be a bargain.

I’ve just been watching an SU-27 book by Yefim Gordon which has just had a re-release in 2018 with an extra 127 pages. So I put in the watched and it finished yesterday at more than the cost of a new one with free post.

I was just on Ebay looking for the 1/32 Revell 22/24 Spitfire and found a 1/32 Hasegawa Spitfire Mk.IIa with a Douglas Bader figuire for $287.47 Can. plus $86.14 Can. shipping.

And no I did not buy it :huh:

Don

2 hours ago, DONG said:

I was just on Ebay looking for the 1/32 Revell 22/24 Spitfire and found a 1/32 Hasegawa Spitfire Mk.IIa with a Douglas Bader figuire for $287.47 Can. plus $86.14 Can. shipping.

And no I did not buy it :huh:

Don

You missed a bargain for sure.

On 6/30/2019 at 4:23 PM, nichenson said:

I sold a quarter once for $25 just to see.  It was a brand new Georgia state quarter, lol. 

During my world travels I sometimes come back with weird foreign currency. I give it to my wife and she sometimes sells it on e-bay. An Ethiopian 10 byrr(birr, burr?) note - worth about 20 cents sold for $15!

29 minutes ago, Hardcore said:

People always have reasons for their actions. They may be uncomprehensible to oneself, but still...

That’s a very generous and forgiving view of people! :rolleyes: