1/32 Revell FW-190 F-8

After a bit of a delay, and getting so into the build I forgot to take more photographs; here is the Fw-190 with some paint on.

It’s not the best job, I’m still learning (constructive criticism always welcome!), and I made a bit of an error with the landing light. Having seen one on the clear sprue I cut out the space for it before I realised the F-8’s didn’t have them! I patched it in, but it showed up under the paint. My story for the plane now is that it had a replacement wing from a night fighter and the ground crews removed and covered up the landing light. I masked the crosses as I thought it would look better than decals, and I’m happy with them. I’ll use decals for the numbers and side crosses, though they’ll have to wait for the gloss coat to go on.

Definitely going to swap away from Vallejo paints though, they are a pain!

Now for pictures!

dW0XV4K.jpg

Edslzye.jpg

iR2PDq2.jpg

i0lwyH9.jpg

Your 190 looks pretty good to my old eyes Sophie, especially since you've used Vallejo paints on it!  Like many others here, I can't recommend MRP paints highly enough, just superb.  I always get mine from https://www.hmhobbies.co.uk  Lovely people to deal with and incredibly fast turnaround.  Good luck with the rest of your build.

3 minutes ago, mozart said:

Your 190 looks pretty good to my old eyes Sophie, especially since you've used Vallejo paints on it!  Like many others here, I can't recommend MRP paints highly enough, just superb.  I always get mine from https://www.hmhobbies.co.uk  Lovely people to deal with and incredibly fast turnaround.  Good luck with the rest of your build.

Thank you! Still learning the ropes. Aircraft are a lot less forgiving than armour! HM Hobbies is going to be getting a big order from me come payday! I want to try out MRP on the Me-262 I have waiting to be built. Might do a scheme with less mottling though!

38 minutes ago, curiouslysophie said:

HM Hobbies is going to be getting a big order from me come payday! I want to try out MRP on the Me-262 I have waiting to be built. Might do a scheme with less mottling though!

Mottling is a LOT easier with MRP paints, I suspect even with a cheaper airbrush since it's so thin.  Use an old kit to practise, practise, practise beforehand and don't be afraid of getting in close with low air pressure - I usually spray at about 12psi using MRP.  My "mule", a 1/48th Hurricane used for God knows how many schemes and practice sessions, in fact every time I have paint left in the cup:

kg1200.jpg

42 minutes ago, mozart said:

Mottling is a LOT easier with MRP paints, I suspect even with a cheaper airbrush since it's so thin.  Use an old kit to practise, practise, practise beforehand and don't be afraid of getting in close with low air pressure - I usually spray at about 12psi using MRP.  My "mule", a 1/48th Hurricane used for God knows how many schemes and practice sessions, in fact every time I have paint left in the cup:

kg1200.jpg

Lovely mottling! It's good to know the MRP paints are better for that. I plan on getting a better airbrush this month too. I have one of the Revell 1/32 Spitfires I can use as a mule, I plan on getting the Tamiya Spit, and only have so much display space.

Hello Sophie, 

have you glued the cockpit (and the cover underneath the windshield) to one fuselage half first and then to the other when you closed the fuselage? Or have you first closed the fuselage and then glued the cockpit into place from below? 

I am at this step now and not sure what the best way is. I also have the Eduard cockpit.

Cheers,

Roger

58 minutes ago, AlanG said:

If that's you 'learning the ropes' Sophie then we are all in for a treat when you get a grip of it. Blows my efforts out of the water lol

Haha, thank you! I’ve done some large scale armour before, but planes are a whole different beast!

35 minutes ago, VintageEagle said:

Hello Sophie, 

have you glued the cockpit (and the cover underneath the windshield) to one fuselage half first and then to the other when you closed the fuselage? Or have you first closed the fuselage and then glued the cockpit into place from below? 

I am at this step now and not sure what the best way is. I also have the Eduard cockpit.

Cheers,

Roger

I glued the cockpit to one side first then sandwiched it between the fuselage halves. The upper cover beneath the windshield I added after the fuselage was together. It didn’t have a lot of surface to bond to and that seemed easier. You can quite easily insert the cockpit from below though if you wanted to avoid any damage while sanding the fuselage, which needed quite a bit of filling and sanding in my case, though this was most likely due to my own inexperience.

Hi Sophie!

You're doing  some awesome work.  One thing I recently discovered is the best friend of a mottle scheme is some very fine abrasive paper and your fingers.  Don't use a sanding block.  4000+ grit paper or micromesh moistened and rinsed regularly will soften the edges of your mottle.  

It works on the main colors as well.  You can touch up with tinted colors and lightly sand again for a worn and faded look.  Here is a recent example done with acrylics and micromesh:

Gaz

Hi Sophie, that's a good tip from Gazz and works really well for a worn effect. Remember to give the underlying camo colour  "RLM76" in this case a light sanding first to knock down any dust  or paint spatter as this will show up through the mottle. I always rub the whole mottle as well as the edges as this give a more organic look I feel but controlled and focused on one mottle at a time depending on the size and number in the pattern of course!

Some good reference for you to look up.......

Good modelling mate of mine Ralph Riese... Garage Session Modelling on face book.

Chris Wauchop .....website "Static Capital"

Two of the best Aussie Luftwaffe modellers your likly to find.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Bevan 

On 7/8/2019 at 5:50 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Yep! HP-CS is the most capable and durable overall of all the airbrushes I've ever used.

If you only have enough to upgrade to one airbrush, I would highly recommend the Iwata HP-CS.

Yes, likewise.

On 7/8/2019 at 6:22 PM, curiouslysophie said:

That is interesting to know, thank you. I will look at the Iwata. I read they can be a pain to clean though? I Didn’t realise the H&S was so fragile! Might be one I look at later for just fine work. Do you fin the 0.35mm needle does fine for most delicate work? Can you get finer needles for the Iwata if needed?

My HP-CS has the 0.35mm needle, and it's my only airbrush, I use it for everything.  I have a couple of Badgers gathering dust, and I did try an Aztek, but for my money nothing beats my HP-CS - and I've used it for 13 years now with just an occasional new needle and tip.  I don't think you can get smaller, but you can get a 0.5mm needle/nozzle/tip combination.

I think you said you're in the UK:  I tend to get my airbrush supplies from these guys - great service

Loving the Fw, looking forward to seeing it finished.