My Raffle Prize: Final Update 21/Aug/19

Gazzas

On 7/8/2019 at 9:19 AM, Gazzas said:

All of the trailing edges needed a bit of work to make acceptably sharp.  It actually took up a fair bit of time.  Of course, that meant that I lost all of the raised detail on the control surfaces.  Never fear...  Silhouette Portrait is here:

8MufbX.jpg

I found a drawing of the FW 190's framework online and imported it into my Silhouette software.  After cleaning it up a bit, I cut the masks and used a few thick coats of Tamiya Matte Red to give me back the raised detail.

ghbUSv.jpg

There's a bit of overspray to remove....

kTOOVQ.jpg

I'm going to have to pin the stabilizers, too.  I was going to show them dry-fitted, but they looked a bit too droopy that way.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

I did the same thing in my D-9 kit. but in a different way. as vinil could be a pain with the time passing and could peel itself, i did the masks inversed. I used the intenal parts of the masks and applied putty to the parts. Then I sanded the putty and removed the masks. The results is that I obtained the recess in the control surfaces in a permanent way, and with the surfae smooth, as it needed.

Here, the part of the mask removed:

ML26fwH.jpg

Here, with putty applyed:

km98Uwb.jpg

Here with the masks removed:

Wv155py.jpg

SwCXWhz.jpg

Cheers, Paulo.

Thank you for your kind replies everyone!

1 hour ago, tchwrma said:

I did the same thing in my D-9 kit. but in a different way. as vinil could be a pain with the time passing and could peel itself, i did the masks inversed. I used the intenal parts of the masks and applied putty to the parts. Then I sanded the putty and removed the masks. The results is that I obtained the recess in the control surfaces in a permanent way, and with the surfae smooth, as it needed.

Here, the part of the mask removed:

ML26fwH.jpg

Here, with putty applyed:

km98Uwb.jpg

Here with the masks removed:

Wv155py.jpg

SwCXWhz.jpg

Cheers, Paulo.

Thank you for the demonstration.  I have to admit that I've come to dislike putty or anything that makes me wait.  I find myself turning to CA and baking soda or CA and accelerator to help me get through things quickly.  I don't think I've used putty for my last 6 builds.

It's funny... I hate CA as a glue.  I find myself backing it up with white glue quite often.  But as a filler, I like it best.

Gaz

I'm not friend of putty, too. In gluing, reinforcing and filling, I always use CA. But in this case, Pùtty seems to me the best option, besides two or tree days waiting to cure to finally sand.

But the results compensed the extra time.

By the way, your kit are pretty good. Following...

Cheers, Paulo.

Hi Gaz!

Great build so far!

The Ta 152C is my favorite version in all the Fw 190 series so I am following your build with interest!

I hesitate to make a remark on a part of the aircraft because you have already redone that bit, and with all the info I have gathered I think that what you have done is not quite accurate. So I will give my opinion and maybe it will be useful for someone else's build at least!

The louvers should be 10, not 12. The most peculiar thing about them is that they actually overlap on the outside, one section not bent to slide under the next, but forming a raised triangle wich is quite distinctive in the only clear photos I have found in the JAPO Fw190 D part II book. These photos show the Fw 190 D-15 prototype but the nose cowl is the same as the Ta 152C.

I can show what I have done on my 1/48 kit if you are interested. I can scan the photos too.

Alain

2 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Hi Gaz!

Great build so far!

The Ta 152C is my favorite version in all the Fw 190 series so I am following your build with interest!

I hesitate to make a remark on a part of the aircraft because you have already redone that bit, and with all the info I have gathered I think that what you have done is not quite accurate. So I will give my opinion and maybe it will be useful for someone else's build at least!

The louvers should be 10, not 12. The most peculiar thing about them is that they actually overlap on the outside, one section not bent to slide under the next, but forming a raised triangle wich is quite distinctive in the only clear photos I have found in the JAPO Fw190 D part II book. These photos show the Fw 190 D-15 prototype but the nose cowl is the same as the Ta 152C.

I can show what I have done on my 1/48 kit if you are interested. I can scan the photos too.

Alain

HI Alain,

Thank you!  I'd be very interested to see how you did yours.  I can see with the picture that I misinterpreted the louvres.  I'm not really sure about redoing them.

Gaz

On 7/2/2019 at 8:52 AM, nmayhew said:

i had this kit in my stash a while back and quite liked the look of it

I reckon it will turn out as quite a mean looking beast - the Ta152 H's wings just look too long and floppy for me!

On 7/2/2019 at 8:58 AM, Gazzas said:

I always found this body style of FW/TA a bit unusual due to the closeness in length of fuse and wings.  But I agree with you, the H-style wing is just a little too long.

Gaz

One vote here for the other side: those long wings give the Ta 152H a certain appeal and je ne sais quoi imo.  Wish I'd invested in a kit when available.

1 hour ago, Gazzas said:

HI Alain,

Thank you!  I'd be very interested to see how you did yours.  I can see with the picture that I misinterpreted the louvres.  I'm not really sure about redoing them.

Gaz

Personally I wouldn't bother, on the basis that (a) no-one except you, Alain, and real Ta 152 fanatics will ever know, and (b) I'm a lazy modeller.  But your call.  Great work so far, and swift progress.

Gaz,

Most  impressive endeavor.  Love all the efforts going on so far.  

The picture from Alain above is awesome.   We live in great times when a vintage power plant can be shown to represent an actual engine and forward cowling and louvers.  Wow.  Great picture for sure.  

Looking back into this build, I can’t see if you ever decided on the markings you will you will eventually choose on your build?   Just curious.  

Thanks again for sharing your your journey with us.   

Troy 

Hi Everyone,

A lot of work, but not a lot of progress.  Trying to get a faultless surface is well...  trying!   I fill, I sand, I check, and recheck...  and you know how it goes...  The tiniest flaw demands fixing. 

And I did get to try out my new MRP Lacquers.  Got to say that these paints are dangerously nice.   Dangerously nice because they are the kind of paints that make you want to replace all of your airbrushing paints.  Ready to spray, and they atomize perfectly.  I don't know how they are for touching up with the brush, but I reckon I'll find out.

Now for the pics:

MGHbgM.jpg

Because I'm not doing a historical scheme, I'm not tied to RLM paints.

I"ve gone for a bare metal or silver painted metal look.  All hydraulic cylinders are covered with foil.  The tires and hubs are black on black with light weathering on the tires with pastels.  I'm not going to make flat spots until I have the lie of the LG figured out.  The tailwheel is a 2 part afair with the wheel molded to the metal parts of the gear. 

The hole for the 30mm cannon was filled in with CA and sanded smooth.

The clear parts were polished with Meguire's buffing compound and polished with Meguire's Plasto plastic polish.  And then dipped in Future diluted with 25% Glass cleaner.

d3QTQw.jpg

There are PE radiators and oil coolers that line the cowl ahead of the motor.  I've decided to leave these for last to avoid over spray, and my other friend:  clumsiness.  I hate it when I knock off PE!

You can't see them under the primer, but there are formation lights on the wing tips.  Somehow, I manged to lose the originals so had to make new ones from sprue.  They are quite tiny on the FW, and not completely flush with the surrounding metal areas.

SqWUCg.jpg

The wing roots have been the area demanding the most attention.    Replacing lost detail is always tough, either because I make tiny errors, or because my scribed detail just ain't pretty.  I had to fabricate the taillight, too.

The masks are programmed into my Silhouette software and ready for cutting.  I hope to lay some paint this weekend.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Hi Gaz!

Nice progress! I'm looking forward for that bare metal look! Plus some bright color areas in places perhaps?

Here for your information are the 1/48 louvre details. I highlighted the separation between panels with a fine felt pen.

Starting from top right side:

aU3ehdz.jpg

Lower. The bottom left louvre overlaps both adjoining sections. Line indicates the vertical axis.

cgp9Dov.jpg

Top left side:

KJO0JvA.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had a lot of time to devote to the kit. 

Anyway...  the fit of the windscreen meant that I had to thin up the areas on both sides of it.  I spent a fair amount of time deciding what I wanted to do.  In the end I decided that trying to get it right without damaging the cowl was going to be a tough proposition.  This led me to thinking about fitting the canopy parts before I add the wings in future builds.  Anyone else do that?

I decided that since I was making a postwar racer out if it, I could dispense with any bulges that might be there to accommodate the two MG 151's that were supposed to be there.  Here is the result with a 'before' picture inset.

QtmKPB.jpg

rtj06p.jpg

I'm still not happy with my planned painting design.  I keep hoping something better will come to me.  But so far, my imagination hasn't come up with something unique, yet.

Happy modelling!

Gaz

I've begun to  mask my racer.  I can't claim much imagination....   So I borrowed some themes...   My plans have been altered constantly since I first decided to make a racer out of it. 

ALGJk7.jpg

NZKRdy.jpg

DyddPL.jpg

In my new model fantasy, the plane had been rescued from the scrap heap, given a new existence and taken her original call letters to the sky.

Thanks fer looking!

Gaz