Gisbod

1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Posted (edited)

Thanks!

I’ve pushed on and I’ve pre shaded and highlighted- it may be a waste of time as the top coat will be so dark, but I’ll build it up in thin layers and see how I go!

The engine is only placed on and the wing is just resting - to see what she’ll look like...

Guy

17-B775-FB-1-FCB-4875-BEE9-22-EEAD36879-

Edited by Gisbod

4 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Thanks!

I’ve pushed on and I’ve pre shaded and highlighted- it may be a waste of time as the top coat will be so dark, but I’ll build it up in thin layers and see how I go!

The engine is only placed on and the wing is just resting - to see what she’ll look like...

Guy

17-B775-FB-1-FCB-4875-BEE9-22-EEAD36879-

Guy, did you counter-shade depressions in the skin to make them look less uniform, less pronounced? You did, didn't you? I love it. Great work.

Adam

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, adameliclem said:

Guy, did you counter-shade depressions in the skin to make them look less uniform, less pronounced? You did, didn't you? I love it. Great work.

Adam

I’d love to say I was that clever Adam! But no.

To be honest, there’s quite a bit of negativity towards the stressed skin effect , but having handled it close up over the last few weeks - I really like it, I think it’s very well done, and I don’t really see the uniformity of it, the fuselage in particular is very random and convincing to my eye? I think it’s great! 

2 hours ago, Vynce804 said:

Hi Guy,  looking great,  and I have the luxury of seeing you tackle the dark blue paint first!  Good luck!  Matt

Yep, you can see all my mistakes in full technicolour Matt! :rolleyes:

Talking of which, I have given it the first couple of (thin) coats (about 50% thinners in fact) of the Mr Color Blue and I’m actually very pleased so far.. all the pre painting showing through nicely.

My plan next is to overcoat it with MRP Sea Blue, which is the correct, darker midnight blue, hopefully still leaving the pre shade subtly showing through. 

The Mr Color Blue looks great, but I think it’s too light to be accurate. I haven’t seen any pictures of the real aircraft faded like the Corsairs? They all seem uniformly dark blue. Which is fine, but I reckon that would look a bit boring on a scale model. 

The MRP paints are very translucent, so hopefully I’ll be able to get a balance between the two... ;)

816-A814-B-E73-C-4-B52-B75-C-68-D10276-D

EAB0800-F-39-AC-4-D64-83-EA-ADD2-BA7-A86

Edited by Gisbod

Lovely Guy!     I am definitely one of those who doesn't love the stressed skin effect, but I have always thought the effect itself was nice, but as you pointed out, it was more the overall uniformity applied, in my case with the WnW Lanc.

I have not really had a chance to look at the effect up close on the F6F yet, but your paint job seems to go a long way to making it all look very nice, and seemingly not nearly as uniform looking to my eye as the Lanc, but then again I have yet to see any builds of that one, so I should probably wait to see what it looks like under paint.

Well done! 

Morning, afternoon, evening,

I’m racing ahead now and I’ve added the top coat of MRP Sea Blue. It’s turned out pretty much how I envisaged it, so I can’t complain. It’s a darker shade  towards the ‘correct’ colour of a Midnight Blue, but I still can see the pre shading, although it may not be that apparent in the photos. I’ve also started on the markings - I’ve ordered a set of Top Notch masks that represent one of the in box colour options: ‘32’ from VF-12, USS Randolph, May 1945. Hopefully they won’t be too long as I’m waiting on them now.

1-CACA131-0483-4677-BE29-F8699323-D9-B9.

D4318109-8-C30-43-E6-ADAB-FF5-ECE39-BF3-

523-A6994-CD38-4285-895-F-8469819-EFD86.

140-FC405-60-F2-4-E14-A074-B85666-F5-DBB

7821-DC39-EC38-47-D8-ADC2-7-E9482417-D05

E7-FB59-F5-9909-4146-86-D5-1-A151-E2-E57

6 hours ago, Vynce804 said:

Hi Guy,  that is looking brilliant and a nice choice of markings.  Matt

Thanks Matt, 

I wanted to do something a bit different, but that one grew on me. I’ve found a nice pic of the squadron aircraft - but now I’m left with a dilemma - all the aircraft numbers are wonky! I’m not sure my OCD will let me replicate that on the model :frantic:

They really are shiny aren’t they? (although it looks like it’s raining/ wet).

Guy

D9664-D89-48-B3-4826-BBD5-BCDD1-B7-BD24-

In your photo of your model with the pre-shading done, the wing is upside down. The guns should be down, not up when the wing is in the folded position.  You probably know that though