1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Gisbod

8 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Wow!  I really like the way the surface has come out.  It looks just great with those markings added to your surface prep and painting.

Thanks all :)

Yep, I really like it too - the light sanding between coats has produced this lovely, uneven burnished effect (because of the irregular surface of the stressed skin) which seems to add another dimension... But, I’ve now got to give her a gloss coat for the washes and mini stencil data decals - and I’m sure this is going to spoil the effect (and it’s meant to have a gloss finish anyway), but I don’t know how else I can tackle it.. :wacko:

Guy

Fabulous build. One way you could potentially look at not using gloss coast is to use diluted white glue under the decal and then wash off the excess. It worked a treat IMO on the 1/32nd Fisher Sea Fury I did when I chickened out on using gloss varnish as I was concerned it would wipe out the subtle weathering that I really liked. You can see how well it worked about half way down this thread. 

14 hours ago, crobinsonh said:

look at not using gloss coast is to use diluted white glue under the decal and then wash off the excess. It worked a treat IMO on the 1/32nd Fisher Sea Fury I did when I chickened out on using gloss varnish as I was concerned it would wipe out the subtle weathering that I really liked. You can see how well it worked about half way down this thread. 

Thanks, but too late! I’ve glossed now and it’s lost the nice effect, but I need a pin wash too so I think I didn’t have too much choice.. looking super glossy at the mo, I’ll cut it back for the final finish. 

6 hours ago, Vynce804 said:

Hi Guy,  looking very nice!  White is always a pain to paint over dark colours,  and you have done a great job,  do you have any advice?  And which white paint did you use?  Cheers. Matt

Hey Matt, thanks, nothing special, Mr Color Off White, about 25% thinned and a couple of light coats, trying to keep it not too opaque.

Decals next up I guess, then a pin wash, then light weathering before a semi gloss finish..

Guy

fantastic looking build! As far as the gloss finish, according to the book " Crommelin's Thunderbirds A History Of Air Group Twelve" the planes were waxed, which added about 5 knots of airspeed. hard to replicate in scale though, without getting that "toy look" to it. I'm really looking forward to your progress as it looks fantastic so far!!!

Thanks,

I’ve been pressing on and to be honest I’m just about done now. A myriad of small jobs - aerial wires, clear parts on the airframe, exhaust staining etc etc takes longer than you imagine...

Couple of errors. Firstly, I messed up by attaching the starboard wing too early - before I’d done the exhaust staining... regretted that.

Secondly, the engine cowlings are numerous and tricky. They all fit nicely, albeit if everything inside is perfectly aligned, I’m not sure mine was so I had a bit of manipulating to get them on. In retrospect, I would have attached the engine and the cowling panels during the build and used the couple I was leaving off as masks for the painting. I hate gluing lots of panels after painting. That would be my top tip for future builders.

It’s been quite a complex build. Not that there’s anything wrong - just a big, complicated model that requires some thought along the build process. That said, it’s great fun and there are going to be a lot of beautiful builds of this in the future by all the super talented modellers out there. I can’t wait to see them!

I hope to take some photos tomorrow for the completed builds section.

Many thanks for looking in and adding your comments and welcome advice :)

Wingnuts Postwar DH9 up next...

Guy

On 8/18/2019 at 8:12 PM, Vynce804 said:

Hi Guy,  looking very nice!  White is always a pain to paint over dark colours,  and you have done a great job,  do you have any advice?  And which white paint did you use?  Cheers. Matt

I used Mission Models white primer over dark sea blue, works perfectly!