1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Gisbod

Lovely Guy!     I am definitely one of those who doesn't love the stressed skin effect, but I have always thought the effect itself was nice, but as you pointed out, it was more the overall uniformity applied, in my case with the WnW Lanc.

I have not really had a chance to look at the effect up close on the F6F yet, but your paint job seems to go a long way to making it all look very nice, and seemingly not nearly as uniform looking to my eye as the Lanc, but then again I have yet to see any builds of that one, so I should probably wait to see what it looks like under paint.

Well done! 

Morning, afternoon, evening,

I’m racing ahead now and I’ve added the top coat of MRP Sea Blue. It’s turned out pretty much how I envisaged it, so I can’t complain. It’s a darker shade  towards the ‘correct’ colour of a Midnight Blue, but I still can see the pre shading, although it may not be that apparent in the photos. I’ve also started on the markings - I’ve ordered a set of Top Notch masks that represent one of the in box colour options: ‘32’ from VF-12, USS Randolph, May 1945. Hopefully they won’t be too long as I’m waiting on them now.

1-CACA131-0483-4677-BE29-F8699323-D9-B9.

D4318109-8-C30-43-E6-ADAB-FF5-ECE39-BF3-

523-A6994-CD38-4285-895-F-8469819-EFD86.

140-FC405-60-F2-4-E14-A074-B85666-F5-DBB

7821-DC39-EC38-47-D8-ADC2-7-E9482417-D05

E7-FB59-F5-9909-4146-86-D5-1-A151-E2-E57

6 hours ago, Vynce804 said:

Hi Guy,  that is looking brilliant and a nice choice of markings.  Matt

Thanks Matt, 

I wanted to do something a bit different, but that one grew on me. I’ve found a nice pic of the squadron aircraft - but now I’m left with a dilemma - all the aircraft numbers are wonky! I’m not sure my OCD will let me replicate that on the model :frantic:

They really are shiny aren’t they? (although it looks like it’s raining/ wet).

Guy

D9664-D89-48-B3-4826-BBD5-BCDD1-B7-BD24-

In your photo of your model with the pre-shading done, the wing is upside down. The guns should be down, not up when the wing is in the folded position.  You probably know that though

Your build here is doing a great job of selling this kit for Airfix!  They should pay you.

Seriously, this has me strongly considering this project, and I'm not a huge Hellcat fan.

Seems like a great kit.  I love the color scheme you went with; those horizon stripes on the tail are nice.

2 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Your build here is doing a great job of selling this kit for Airfix!  They should pay you.

Seriously, this has me strongly considering this project, and I'm not a huge Hellcat fan.

Seems like a great kit.  I love the color scheme you went with; those horizon stripes on the tail are nice.

Thanks, perhaps you could contact Airfix and get them to send cash - that would be great ;)

I wasn’t a Hellcat fan either, I just got the kit as a sample - but it’s totally grown on me, I’ve really enjoyed it. I didn’t fancy the dark blue finish either but it looks great on this size model. The stressed skin really gives the uniform finish some interest!

I got the masks today from Top Notch and have just finished painting the markings. They are great and really easy to use as there’s only one colour to mask.

Guy

03-AF4355-8-D0-B-4331-8-F27-7-AD29-B0-AE

In progress!

6398150-A-CBD9-49-CD-BFEC-BAE8-A65-D802-

3-C7-F5-A73-028-B-459-E-817-B-E69-ECE0-F

06-D4-B6-B2-B243-477-D-A490-260-D75762-A