1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Gisbod

9 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

The main reason I suspect that is I did exactly as you did Guy, and was about to do that one as my planned scheme, but then another F6F SME (dont remember who atm) corrected me, and pointed out the window and windscreen.

Ah, thanks Brian.. you saved me there!

Guy

7 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Ah that’s good. Although the colour schemes are fairly limited for the -5s - grey/ green FAA or Midnight Blue US..  there are a few target tug multi coloured ones - these seem to be pilotless drones.

I have, however, found a 3 tone -5 which I’m tempted by? 

9-D970105-E39-C-4408-B084-FAC016-E890-A9

Guy

I thought the F-5 didn’t have the side windows behind the cockpit?

Is this profile backed up by photos?

1 hour ago, nmayhew said:

I thought the F-5 didn’t have the side windows behind the cockpit?

Is this profile backed up by photos?

As was pointed out to me, I believe that profile is mis-marked as a -5 when it should be a -3.

9 minutes ago, Jim E said:

The early F^F-5. had side windows like the -3. The difference is in the cowlings the -3's had an exhaust fairing in front of the upper exhausts, the -5's didn't have any. Hope that helps 

See the source imageSee the source image

For me, I think the exhaust fairing and the window may actually be fairly easy, but Im more trying to find the differences in the windscreen.    Or is there any?

The -3 windscreens had a armored glass behind it and appeared to be rounded in front and no upper brace. The -5s had armored glass glass Incorporated in the  windscreen and appears flatter on the front with an upper brace

The top drawing is a -3 and the middle and bottom are -5 Canopies. However there may difference among productions runs

See the source image

Edited by Jim E

31 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Judging by what looks like the bulletproof glass layer on the inside and curved upper canopy bracing, wouldn't that make the above drawing more a -3?

The only way we would know for sure is by knowing the Bu Number on the tail

Grumman-F6F-5-Hellcat-VF-51-White-3X-Little-Joe-from-CVL-30-USS-San-Jacinto-20th-July-1944-02.jpg

Edited by Jim E

Ah thanks,

That’s very helpful, so at least that image of 7FI is confirmed as a -5 in 3 tone camouflage?

Would be nice to have that as an option. 

It’s just that an overall gloss midnight blue is going to be a challenge to make interesting... 

Guy

Just looked again and the artwork of ‘7FI’ has the front canopy/windscreen side brace which the -5s didn’t have as Jim pointed out Does that definitively make it a -3? 

Is is that what you meant Brian?

Confused Guy on the beach

Edited by Gisbod

6 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Just looked again and the artwork of ‘7FI’ has the front canopy/windscreen side brace which the -5s didn’t have as Jim pointed out Does that definitively make it a -3? 

Is is that what you meant Brian?

Yes, exactly Guy. The picture also seems to show the -3 upper windscreen brace as well. I think really the only thing -3 wise "missing" from 7Fi is the exhaust fairing ahead of the exhaust output.    From looking at it, it appears everything else is -3 like. 

42 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Yes, exactly Guy. The picture also seems to show the -3 upper windscreen brace as well. I think really the only thing -3 wise "missing" from 7Fi is the exhaust fairing ahead of the exhaust output.    From looking at it, it appears everything else is -3 like. 

The F6F-3 had 3 different cowl configurations.  The earliest had the lower cowl flap and exhaust bulge.  The middle one had the bulge but no lower cowl flap.  The last was essentially the same as the -5, no lower cowl flap and no bulge.  The windscreen is definitive; the -3 day fighters had a 4-piece windscreen with curved front panel, 2 side panels and a top panel, and internal armored glass.  The -5 (and -3N) had a 3-piece windscreen with flat armored glass front panel and 2 side panels that met at the top.

Hi everybody,

I am very interested in this topic as I have just bought mine and would like to build in a 3 tones scheme.

I found on Osprey Aircraft of Aces 125 page 61 a colour profile of a F6F-5 buno unknown of VF-2  USS Hornet with the rear window, non bulge on cowl and the lower cowl flap

It is interesting if confirmed. Really don't know if it is possible to post a picture due to copyright laws

In the meanwhile i am thinking madly to vacuform a new windscreen

Hope it will be helpful

Edited by Maw1963