1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Gisbod

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

I would be happy with this effort so far Guy, looking spiffy.

Ryan

We both know you wouldn’t be! :rolleyes: 

Thanks for the support everyone. I’ve closed up the fuselage, it went together quite well in the end, but I was conscious of potential issues. Again, I don’t think there’s anything at all wrong with the kit - just that you have to be ‘fit aware’ - ie paint on the mating surfaces, constant checking etc.

It’s quite a hunk of plastic on the bench!

13-EB93-FB-4-E72-4891-B0-B1-84-FB0223-A5

389-BECE8-34-A5-44-C8-880-B-4-D93894-B2-

17 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I'm still on the fence about the wrinkly skin.  That may be accurate for a 75 year old restored warbird or museum display, but I'm not convinced it really belongs there on a newly produced 1944 Hellcat.  

I dunno, a few heavy carrier deck landings would soon put some wrinkles on the skin.. 

Guy

19 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

There are some real head-scratchers in this kit.  Surely they photographed at least one F6F close up and personal, yet they portray many of the access hatches (the fuel filler locations) as raised panels, when the real things are utterly flush.  And the spring loaded kick steps are portrayed as recessed panels.  Both of those need to be fixed IMHO.  In Airfix's defense, Tamiya did the same thing with the kick step on their recent 1/48 Bf109G-6, which is equally inexplicable.  

I'm still on the fence about the wrinkly skin.  That may be accurate for a 75 year old restored warbird or museum display, but I'm not convinced it really belongs there on a newly produced 1944 Hellcat.  

I agree 100%.  I have my kit kit in hand.  Although I appreciate the effort that Airfix took in adding this “oil canning” effect, as I gaze at it my head tells me that it’s overdone.  I searched all of my photo references and I can’t find a wartime photo of a Dash 5 with distressed skin.

Honestly its the same feeling I get with the HK Lanc. In either case, Im not enough of a SME to know for sure, but just some quick Google searches do seem to indicate it wasnt so uniform across the airframe, or in a lot of cases there at all

Your build is looking great. I almost bought one a couple of weeks ago at the local shop but that box is absolutely gigantic. Maybe I could display it with folded wings though. Where do some of you guys put the 1/32 bombers. I can't imagine.