F-15 B/D what are my options?

Stevepd

We had 2 x F-15s’ flying overhead again last night from Lakenheath, even the CEO was watching and she’s normally interested. I have built the TAMIYA F-15 E & C, but I saw a photo of an early light grey B model the the hi-viz star n bar and it looked very cool. So in 1/32 what’s my options please.

Photo courtesy of Sven on Britmodeller.

77-0165 7tfs HO KLSV 19800900 02cr

Steve.

Edited by Stevepd

The Revell Bicentennial F-15B is still a fairly nice kit even after 30 years.

It would benefit from upgrading the seats ((basic Escapacs supplied), jetpipe interiors and it comes with vinyl tyres.

Though mine haven't degraded at all, some can't abide them.

The engineering is so close to the Tamiya that I could swap out the two seat nose for a drop-fit Tamiya 'C' nose to get an 'A' model.

1 hour ago, 32scalelover said:

I knew Revell did a F-15C and E in 1/32, but I don't remember a B.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-4742-f-15-eagle-bicentennial--145665

Unfortunately, looking at the sprue shots in this review, it appears that it has the IPs for their “Strike Eagle” kit, which  was actually the Dual Role Fighter Demonstrator for what eventually became the F-15E.

http://fighters.forumactif.com/t33104-f-15b-eagle-revell-1-32

Edited by Dave Williams

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-4742-f-15-eagle-bicentennial--145665

Unfortunately, looking at the sprue shots in this review, it appears that it has the IPs for their “Strike Eagle” kit, which  was actually the Dual Role Fighter Demonstrator for what eventually became the F-15E.

That's true, even in the early issue Bicentennial kit which came out well before the lizard camo DRFD kit.

However the instrument panel for the B is quite simple in layout and could be quite easily fabricated with for example, Airscale instruments and bezels.

The Detail & Scale volume gives full details

Of more concern is that the main wheel hubs are the later type which are quite different to the early type, but when painted early style black that's not very noticeable..

I bought mine in a local toyshop, which was clearing them at £6.00 in the spring of 1982 or '83 I believe.

The F-15 DRFD had been at Farnborough in Sept 1980, so Revell were catering to that iteration while issuing the colourful Bicentennial 1976 scheme first.

Your “best” option to me is to use the nose from an E on the single seater C and apply whatever timeframe mods are needed.

You will also end up with a conformal tank single seater you could throw 57th FS decals on who used them a bit out of Iceland.

Obviously there are some other E things to remove but its how i did an F-15DJ Aggressor. 

Ooooooh….A Holloman "B" model! I remember when the 49th TFW swapped from F-4D's to the F-15A...kinda dating myself! 

Oh well...I like the ghost gray scheme and high vis insignia and yes...as they rolled off the line at McDonnell Douglas in St.Lewis

they had all the black panel numbers! Good luck to roll back time in the USAF!

Cheers...Ron