HB 1/32 B24j turrets re issue?

Pup7309

Since the lynching mob is forming on this one, I took the liberty of cutting one of these suckers out this morning (I hate working with vac-form, mind you), so that we could all give 109Ace the benefit of the doubt.

The vac piece was easy to separate from its base plate, and it lines up well with the resin base. While there is no interior included with his parts, the fact of the matter is with the scale thickness of the vac-form dome, you can adapt the kit parts of scratch build an interior to your liking.

Are they perfect? Absolutely not. A few small spots of clarity issue on the vac-form piece, and some bubbles in the resin.

Are they workable? Abso-frickin-lutely. Even for a guy like me who despises vac-form and doesn't have much experience working with it, I find them easy to use and work with. You could easily adapt the vac-form tops to the kit parts if you so desire to the extra surgery. I don't have the luxury of doing so; I sent off my kit parts to 109Ace to form the masters for this set, and the originals were not returned. I can see it would be very easy though.

At the end of the day, you currently have two options. The kit parts, or 109Ace's replacements. Make your pick, but if I had to, I'd easily pick his stuff over the kit parts.

See attached photos (sorry for cell phone quality), but you get the idea.

48221126487_7fc7a6f5f7_k.jpg66238643_2814132501934460_7583843764246937600_n by Dennis SAuter, on Flickr

48221126367_42a8cc1fb2_k.jpg66394248_2869397339743280_3624181713187373056_n by Dennis SAuter, on Flickr

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

On 6/30/2019 at 7:50 PM, 32scalelover said:

I am still waiting to see what these look like assembled.  Has anyone that has bought them put them together?  If so, can you post pics of them?  Thanks

Greg

exactly

and with respect Dennis, the pics you have posted serve little purpose in that regard

if anything, they are likely to re-enforce those with doubts (I am one of them)

so that there is no confusion, I think a number of people are still waiting to what these things actually look like on a *completed model*

Edited by nmayhew

The aftermarket rear turret is doable. But the front Will be much harder as I can’t see how or where to cut the vac as it has no pattern and the single vac clear part has to be cut multiple times and has to match the curves of the front gun mount. 

Looking at kit kit part vs. the aftermarket ones it’s sad to realize what a poor job the kit ones were at least for the front turret. Totally wrong, in the front. Which is of course the first thing you tend to see the front of the plane.  Even if you in frost the front turret it’s missing the large clear section after the metal housing for the guns. But it’s shown correctly in the box art. 

Paul C

Edited by Paul2660

2 hours ago, Paul2660 said:

The aftermarket rear turret is doable. But the front Will be much harder as I can’t see how or where to cut the vac as it has no pattern and the single vac clear part has to be cut multiple times and has to match the curves of the front gun mount. 

Looking at kit kit part vs. the aftermarket ones it’s sad to realize what a poor job the kit ones were at least for the front turret. Totally wrong, in the front. Which is of course the first thing you tend to see the front of the plane.  Even if you in frost the front turret it’s missing the large clear section after the metal housing for the guns. But it’s shown correctly in the box art. 

Paul C

The Emerson is actually easier. The clear dome is featureless to make removal of the die from the vac easier. You may see a small dimple at the top of the dome. That is created by a vent hole in the die. Otherwise suction makes it impossible to remove the die. That dimple should line up perfectly at the top of the kit supplied entry doors. take the added vacuformed front piece, ( the one with the wind deflectors and center glass  molded in the vac ) hold it opposite the entry doors and make three straight cuts to fit the part into the dome.  I have modified the dome from the kit original by increasing the height to eliminate the squat look of the turret. I have also made the gun wind deflectors less deep so to create the large glass area at the turret sides. also the back of the resin bottom has a hashed area that must be cut out and replaced with the kit doors. It is there to aid in casting and removal of the cast part from the mold. My mission with these sets is one thing. To eliminate that horse **** seam that runs up and over the turret top. 

58711627-2145823155500808-17532135229022

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...