Calling All Airbrush Cleaners!

Stuka

Hey Guys,

I preparing an updated version of the Airbrush Cleaning article on my site and I'm looking for cleaning reagents I've not tested yet.

Here's a link to version 1:

https://modelpaintsol.com/guides/airbrushing-tips-v4-airbrush-cleaners

If you have any suggestions for new/novel airbrush cleaners (acrylic, lacquer, enamel)  let me know.

If your suggestion is tested, you'll get a free "Mix-A-Lot" kit worth $46 :)

Thanks!

--John 

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, Tamiya airbrush cleaner has been harder to find than purple hen's teeth. 

My local modelling club has been hunting this stuff in our travels all over the country, what we found is that a few hobby shops have confirmed that there is some sort of import hold nationwide, something to do with the chemical makeup of the cleaner. So, in other words, if you can't find it at a hobby shop's stock, then you cant get it. I have also been told that Tamiya is working on correcting this, but so far, no word on availability. I actually found two bottles in a hobby shop in Dallas, and brought it back for a couple friends, I still have half a bottle left and try to use it a few drops at a time as a last blow through in my airbrush, or if I have a gummed up assembly. I also found that was not tested, but 93% alcohol works good for Tamiya paint. 

Another option for cleaning is using Windex, with ammonia added or in it. Ammonia works well on Vallejo and AK. 

A third more toxic cleaner is automitive airgun cleaner, but this stuff needs to be used outside, you should not mess with this stuff indoors even with an extractor. 

These are just my personal experience, you may have your own combos, please share. 

Thanks for all the responses: much appreciated!!

Keep 'em coming.

There have been a couple of suggestions for cleaners that the technicians in the secret underground MPS paint research laboratory are looking into :)

More soon....

Best,

--John

Just now, Wegener said:

Don’t use lacquer thinner for Mission Models, Vallejo or Lifecolour - result is gunge.

I didnt know that!  Good to know, as I do have some Vallejo on the shelf, but with the introduction of MRP I havnt touched it in a few years. 

"Goo"   :)

That's exactly how I described the effect of lacquer thinner (LT) on most acrylics in v1 of the cleaning article.

Nasty stuff: worthy of an X-Files.

Interestingly, one acrylic that solubilized with LT after drying was Model Master.

Beware of the goo................

8 minutes ago, Stuka said:

"Goo"   :)

That's exactly how I described the effect of lacquer thinner (LT) on most acrylics in v1 of the cleaning article.

Nasty stuff: worthy of an X-Files.

...........except for MRP. Lacquer thinner cleans MRP out of the ab like no ones business, and makes the ab pristine as a newly cleaned babies but. 

Interestingly, one acrylic that solubilized with LT after drying was Model Master.

Beware of the goo................

MM enamel works great, but their acrylic is some of the worst paint on the planet IMHO. 

I second Mr Tool Cleaner "it does what it says on the tin" 

I had a dried up jar of Mr Surfacer a few drops a couple of hours and usable again, I even use it to clean my tools if I have been using epoxy pastes.

It does smell and not to kind to styrene 

Bob

On 7/19/2019 at 12:54 PM, Out2gtcha said:

...........except for MRP. Lacquer thinner cleans MRP out of the ab like no ones business, and makes the ab pristine as a newly cleaned babies but. 

MM enamel works great, but their acrylic is some of the worst paint on the planet IMHO------Agreed!!

• 2 weeks later...

I use regular lacquer thinner for my initial cleanup followed by KLINE'S Gun Cleaner, GC1, 100% Virgin solvents. I get it thru a body shop connection I have. It's much hotter than normal lacquer thinner and cleans great.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 3:54 PM, Out2gtcha said:

MM enamel works great, but their acrylic is some of the worst paint on the planet IMHO. 

Have you tried them lately Brian, I found them to be super smooth.