The funny thing about 3d printing at home...

seiran01

Hey Mike,

i need to ask the $1m question.   In no way am I critiquing anything in the making so far beyond what I’m already seeing.  I’m curious about the Z wobble you mentioned on the previous page for the wing section which you happened to show us.    Is this particular part going to be reprinted at some point or is it a work in progress and you will attempt to sand out the wobble and fill it in on this printed wing section?   I’m curious to know what the next step would be here?  

Im also curious to know what the actual cost in printing the largest section so far that you have made?   I haven’t a clue what this actual cost might be but if it’s for something unobtainable in 1:32nd who cares, right? 

I really am am enjoying this post.  Thanks for sharing your imagination and talent here!  

Troy 

12 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Imagine you were fluent in Mandarin Chinese (Adobe Illustrator), and you wanted to learn to communicate with somebody in Navajo.  :)

In a way, yes.

However, in my experience, being proficient at AI could save having to learn the shape drawing part of a 3D application. For instance, let's say you're going to make a bulkhead. If you're proficient in AI you can draw the shape along with any lightening holes, etc. in AI quickly, import it into the 3D/CAD program and extrude it to the thickness required avoiding how to learn the 3D/CAD program's drawing tools. I know that's a gross simplification, but presented here as one example. 

8 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Hey Mike,

i need to ask the $1m question.   In no way am I critiquing anything in the making so far beyond what I’m already seeing.  I’m curious about the Z wobble you mentioned on the previous page for the wing section which you happened to show us.    Is this particular part going to be reprinted at some point or is it a work in progress and you will attempt to sand out the wobble and fill it in on this printed wing section?   I’m curious to know what the next step would be here?  

Im also curious to know what the actual cost in printing the largest section so far that you have made?   I haven’t a clue what this actual cost might be but if it’s for something unobtainable in 1:32nd who cares, right? 

I really am am enjoying this post.  Thanks for sharing your imagination and talent here!  

Troy 

Good questions Troy,

ill be reprinting the stabilizer and the tail booms, still troubleshooting my friends photon S and we didn’t account for the very minimal shrinkage in the slot we made to insert the stab into the tails. Speaking of shrinkage, amount I’ve been seeing is practically negligible, in the range of 0.03%. This could be due to the type of resin and that I have not been “post curing” the parts in UV light where I believe things can shrink more. 

I’ve ordered a new two rail assembly for my printer which should significantly reduce any wobble. That said the wobble I’ve seen on my printer is only on the two wings and it’s very minimal compared to that stabilizer, easy to sand. Going to open up my friend’s printer and make sure all screws are tight as the wobble on that stabilizer is pretty extreme. 

Im estimating the cost for the airframe already printed at $40-45. Not counting the cost of lost resin from failed prints due to trouble calibrating and troubleshooting the second printer

15 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Imagine you were fluent in Mandarin Chinese (Adobe Illustrator), and you wanted to learn to communicate with somebody in Navajo.  :)

It isn't that bad!!!! You are still using a computer, keyboard and mouse!! No need to get a fire and a big blanket!!! 

Hey Mike,

Thank you for your time and efforts explaining these finer details.  It’s a new venture in our hobby and we all learn from your experience at first hand. The machine seems to have its own limitations and this needs to be address into account as an important issue to know.  Experimentation is expected and I’m just happy to see your dreams and efforts come to light.   Super cool first venture into all this 3D printing world.  

Again awesome efforts going on here and I look forward to your progression moving forward.  Thanks for the courage and sharing this first hand with us mortals.   

Kikka dude!    Let do it!

Troy. 

9 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

In a way, yes.

However, in my experience, being proficient at AI could save having to learn the shape drawing part of a 3D application. For instance, let's say you're going to make a bulkhead. If you're proficient in AI you can draw the shape along with any lightening holes, etc. in AI quickly, import it into the 3D/CAD program and extrude it to the thickness required avoiding how to learn the 3D/CAD program's drawing tools. I know that's a gross simplification, but presented here as one example. 

Most CAD programs have far more sophisticated drafting tools than Illustrator, much more suited to engineering work. Stick in the CAD program.