F-4 Phantom outer wing panels

A340 Pilot

Well, there are not a lot of options to solve that. As the angle is incorrect, either you modify the top side, either the bottom one. Obviously, it is always better to modify the bottom one as it is far less visible.

So, here is the process:

- create a thick cardboard template with a 167.5° angle,

- put it over the middle of the chord of the main wing and fix it with tape (the angle root must be located at the level of the wing upper hinge),

- dry fit the external section with the main one and progressively and cautiously sand the lower edge of both joining parts. It is important to do that on both sides to avoid removing too much of the hinge on one side.

This is not as difficult as it looks as far as you use a template and do not rush the work.

Hth

Thierry

Nautilus Models produces a simple, laser-cut, wooden wing jig specifically for setting the proper dihedral angle on the Tamiya 1/32 F-4 kits:

http://nautilusmodels.com/32-802.htm  

I couldn't find a proper review of the jig, but it is mentioned in the first post of this thread (and possibly used later in the thread):

HTH,

D

The Nautilus jig is put under the wing as you can put the complete kit on it.

I think that my solution (template over the wing)  is easier as it means you do not have to remove the kit out of the template (or the opposite) to sand the bottom side of the hinge.

I did not realize there was such a drawback when I got my nautilus set!

15 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

...it means you do not have to remove the kit out of the template (or the opposite) to sand the bottom side of the hinge.

Wait. So, you want to be able to fill and sand the hinge joint while it is still in the jig?

Why?

Simply glue the hinge joint while in the jig, then pick it up and handle it any way you want to after that. :shrug:

D

Well the reason is simple: if you simply glue the external wing with the central one while the parts are on the Nautilus jig, you will have a seam to fill on the top. If you put a jig on the top, you will be able to sand a little bit the bottom edges and this results in a better seam on the top. This is a choice to make but personally I prefer solving it mainly on the bottom! Another option that may help is adding a thin strip of plastic against the top edges of both parts before sanding. In any case, you will always get a better result if you dry fit multiple times and sand cautiously to get the correct angle rather than simply try to fill the gap afterwards. 

On 6/27/2019 at 11:10 PM, thierry laurent said:

It stayed movable on the air force version. So, you sometimes see it in such a position. 

yes-the wings were in stowed position while at maintenance depot

even was a fatal accident in IAF,when one wing folded at takeoff