AIRFIX 1/24 F6F-5 to F6F-3?

gunpowder

I know memory can be unreliable, but i think i did see sprues for the AN/APS-6 radar pod on the display at Telford.

Not including the window behind the canopy is a shocker, since the earliest -5s had them, including everyone's second favourite Hellcat cliche, McCampbells' "Minsi"s 2 and 3.

If Airfix' rationale is like Tamiya's, the strategy is to release the "Least Popular" variant first, to start recouping development costs, then withhold the "Cool Version" until its clear that the majority of the costs are coming back.

Knowing what happened with their 24th scale Mosquito, maybe they're gonna lay back and see if Hasegawa announces a new tooled Hellcat in 32nd scale.

Maybe i'm just cynical. In any case i welcome the Kit with open arms.

Edited by David Hansen

Just got mine last night. I see that they give 2 different types zero length rails/rockets and 2 different styles of drop tanks, but only one of each are mentioned in the instructions...:hmmm:

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

The HVAR stubs are news to me, but there were THREE distinctly different styles of F6F drop tanks used.  Two of them have a vertical flange between the halves of the tank, and one had a horizontal flange.  

The kit includes the typical one with the vertical seem and streamlined pylon and one with a horizontal seem and three holes, two front and one rear offset. Have not found nor looked for the mount yet. Maybe I'll look tonight.

On 6/25/2019 at 7:31 PM, gunner said:

I would like to see someone come out with 1/24 tie down strips in P.E. so I can do a carrier deck.

I don’t want to hijack this thread but I went ahead and did an ‘eyeball’ CAD drawing of 1/24 scale tie-down strips for laser cutting. I’ll start a separate thread but just wanted to mention it here. Here’s a test-cut, the overall sheet is sized to fit a legal-sized envelope and contains ten 8-3/4” tie-down strips. The material is a cabinet-making product called Polybak, a resin impregnated paper product that super-glues fabulously. It’s .018” thick. Look for a separate thread. 

Jimbo

jeyFmr.jpg

Hello Jimbo,

Those tie downs look great. I would be interested in purchasing at least 2 sets. How do I get money in your pocket and the tie downs in my man cave?

7 hours ago, gunner said:

Hello Jimbo,

Those tie downs look great. I would be interested in purchasing at least 2 sets. How do I get money in your pocket and the tie downs in my man cave?

PM inbound Gunner.....

jimbo

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, but to get this thread back on topic, I just purchased on eBay a 1/24 VTG Diels F6F-3.  It's a wooden, flyable model but it has a vacuum formed canopy/windscreen.  I haven't picked the kit up yet so I don't know of the quality of the windscreen.  However, I'm bound and determined to build the Airfix kit as a Dash 3, not a 5.  To cover my butt, I also purchased a workable Mattel vacuum form machine from the 1960's.  If need be, I'll make a plug using the Airfix windscreen as a starting point, then make my own part.  The other changes to the model pale in comparison to getting that correct windscreen.

• 3 months later...
On 8/11/2019 at 4:01 AM, Randy said:

It's been a while, but to get this thread back on topic, I just purchased on eBay a 1/24 VTG Diels F6F-3.  It's a wooden, flyable model but it has a vacuum formed canopy/windscreen.  I haven't picked the kit up yet so I don't know of the quality of the windscreen.  However, I'm bound and determined to build the Airfix kit as a Dash 3, not a 5.  To cover my butt, I also purchased a workable Mattel vacuum form machine from the 1960's.  If need be, I'll make a plug using the Airfix windscreen as a starting point, then make my own part.  The other changes to the model pale in comparison to getting that correct windscreen.

Hello Randy any update for F6F-3 windscreen?

• 9 months later...