Sign in to follow this  
LSP_Ron

Shipping costs are through the roof

I was preparing an order for ten kits that I've been eyeballing.  All are 1/25 and 1/24 car models (sorry folks I also build those....)  the total order was just over $200US but the shipping cost by post was $155 US.  That's $200 Cdn. 

I had to cancel my order. 

Sadly, the USA is the last place I'll order from.  Often, the shipping for a single model is close or equal to the cost of the model.   Germany is almost as bad with the UK hot on it's heels.

But shipping from here ain't cheap either, especially if a carton crosses the 1Kg line.  Sent my dad an Akubra hat one year and did a double take when Aussie Post told me the fee.

But...  my wife showed me a picture takenon the inside of a Chinese Postal shipping place...  people were actually walking on top of the mountain of parcels they had to sort.  Luckily none of the people in the picture looked like beefy ex-linemen who'd gone to fat...lol

There is an acknowledgment out in online purchase land, that people are wroughting the system..often the listed price is deliberately low in the knowledge that some people will go through with a purchase because they don’t check or can’t be bothered cancelling and sellers know that their profit is being taken by overcharging freight. eBay and Amazon have been bringing freight costs upfront to the first transaction page or quoting total prices including freight specifically to combat this. It’s guaranteed that high freight costs don’t represent the true cost of shipping though..be assured of that

Posted (edited)

It's the high price of doing business these days it seems. I just won an auction on a forum.. $5 for a car kit from Florida, the shipping was 26.85, total 31.85 USD.. converted to CDN cost me just under $50 ...

It's getting to be not worth it to buy out of country

Edited by spacewolf

4 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

All USPS shipping is now figured as airmail. Really raised the costs. Canada is a little cheaper from the US, but still really pricey compared to a decade ago.

Note I meant all USPS International shipping is priced as airmail. They still have ground in-country.

Posted (edited)

Careful, I just received an email from Ebay a week or so ago that says the USPS is now charging shipping (to U.S. destinations and possibly outside the U.S.) by dimensional weight.  Which means, if you ship something in a larger box than what it needs, you may pay shipping for the dimensional weight they've calculated for that size box rather than the actual weight of the package....  Which actually means you'll pay more; the reverse (if that's even a possibility) will not affect the price of the shipment.

Edited by Juggernut

Our New Zealand Post Office (NZ Post) has set up warehouses in a number of countries  around the world, certainly the US and UK being being two I know of. This is to ship items back here to NZ purchased in those countries, it's called You Post. Several years ago when eBay started to charge 'taxes' on purchases made from NZ (which were completely erroneous, didn't comply with our actual taxation regime and very expensive) I joined and have been shipping stuff from its location in Oregon back here to NZ for years. They do use the volumetric/mass system so small but heavy can be as expensive and large and light.

The facility provides an address that eBay's autobot software sees as a legitimate US one (complete with Zip code and phone number) so doesn't charge the tax or add its own shipping fee. NZ Post use their bulk international shipping network to significantly reduce the shipping costs back here to NZ and, of course, it gets around sellers who won't sell outside the US/UK which would have prevented half of my purchases.

In this space a few years ago, a modeling friend here who wouldn't do the You Post thing, contacted an eBay shop in the US who stated they wouldn't ship to NZ. The guy he spoke to complained to eBay and they suspended my friend's account for violating some condition we all agree to when signing up eBay. He eventually managed to talk his way out of it with eBay but it was a pretty draconian reaction and he joined You Shop.

However, from Oct this year when a new law here kicks in about online GST having to be paid on purchases. Not sure how it will go as the law says that the seller has to charge GST and pay it to the NZ Govt (it's aimed at corporations like Amazon, not the back yard sellers).  However, word here is that as a Govt organisation, NZ Post through You Post will start charging GST (currently 15%) on all shipping costs for any purchase made in the US and UK, so buying overseas has suddenly lost some of it's appeal.

To be honest though, I don't have too much of an issue with taxes being paid for online purchases, I guess I've been around long enough to have friends whose shop down the road have been affected by online businesses that don't pay any taxes at all - but there's a balance to online cheapness and down the road convenience to all of this which hasn't been found yet and maybe this tax thing is a start to finding that.

Rgds Brent

It was pretty disappointing.  Today at lunch I went to one of the LHS and was floored at the cost of 1/25 AMT car kits now days.  Back in the late 80's I used to sell these kits at $14-$16 Cdn.  Now they are $45-$55 for the same kits. 

So now I don't know what to do. The same ten kits are going to cost me about $450 dollars but no shipping. So it's basically a wash.....

These days I always check to see what shipping will cost for any online orders. 

A number of times the shipping is way more than the price of the kit as Ron has experienced. So I go on the total price before deciding if it's worth it or not. 

Lucky Model's surface shipping special offers are always a great way to save a bunch of cash if you're willing to wait a bit. I picked up the Hobby Boss B-24 for $115 USD shipped. Sure it may take 2 months to get to me but I'm in no rush. 

Ron, see if Great Hobbies has any of the kits you're looking for. They're having a sale on now for selected kits and a bunch are car kits. If the order is over $99 CAD it's free shipping too. I just grabbed the Revell ME-262B kit for $41 from them. 

Carl