Jennings Heilig

Fündekals first foray into REALLY big scale! F6Fs for the Airfix monster

This should be considered preliminary at this stage, but tell me what you all think of a kabuki tape stencil layout that looks like this.  Note that we're silkscreen printing all of the really small stuff (like "F6F-5" and the BuNo), as well as some of the smaller white and black numbers and other assorted small stuff.  For all but the very smallest you'll then have a choice of a decal or a stencil (numbers on the forward gear door for example).  

We're also going to provide one full ship set of airframe data placards in the unique Grumman lettering style (I geek out on stuff like that), all of which will be silkscreen printed of course.  

Anything that's not white or black will need to be painted on, but in this case that only applies to the VMF-351 bird off the USS Cape Gloucester.  Until yesterday we didn't even know that bird (and her sister FF66, which has nose art that we are, unfortunately, unable to find any clear photos of...dammit) existed!  

Cartograf has assured us that if I get the decal layout to them this week, that they can get them printed in time for Chattanooga.  That will mean I have to get off my backside and figure out how to make the masks toot-de-sweet (as Col. Potter used to say...).

Ylrrs9.png

EGIaND.png

9iMwpg.png

UoNb24.png

Looks fine to me. Appears to be a cut line missing on the Stars and Bars though. I know its preliminary work. Be great if there was some masks for the USS Essex Carrier Group markings too. Because I'm lazy and hate having to measure stuff myself..... Though the splash of colour from the Cape Gloucester scheme is appealing. 

Posted (edited)

Beautiful decal sheet and interesting options! :clap2:

Kabuki-tape is the perfect material for the masks, never liked any vinyl masks!

But, 1/24 is too big for me, I´m sorry to say...

IF you scale this down to 1/32 I´ll buy it in a heartbeat !   :please:

I have a Trumpeter -5N (1/32) on the bench and a new sheet with decals/masks for a more appealing option is really needed. 

I really like the #64 with it´s white and yellow markings.... :wub:

Stefan :)

Edited by Phantom2

6 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Looks fine to me. Appears to be a cut line missing on the Stars and Bars though. I know its preliminary work. Be great if there was some masks for the USS Essex Carrier Group markings too. Because I'm lazy and hate having to measure stuff myself..... Though the splash of colour from the Cape Gloucester scheme is appealing. 

The bow tie is different on both of these aircraft.  And honestly, that's about the simplest shape you can possibly mask.  We're providing scale 2" tape that was used on the real thing so you can emulate the very noticeable overspray seen on the real thing.

5 hours ago, Phantom2 said:

Beautiful decal sheet and interesting options! :clap2:

Kabuki-tape is the perfect material for the masks, never liked any vinyl masks!

But, 1/24 is too big for me, I´m sorry to say...

IF you scale this down to 1/32 I´ll buy it in a heartbeat !   :please:

I have a Trumpeter -5N (1/32) on the bench and a new sheet with decals/masks for a more appealing option is really needed. 

I really like the #64 with it´s white and yellow markings.... :wub:

Stefan :)

When someone does a new 1/32 kit, we'll be all over it.  Right now you're left with the ancient Hasegawa kit, and the less said about the Trumpeter "thing" the better.

6 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

That's JPG artifact.  It's there.

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

The bow tie is different on both of these aircraft.  And honestly, that's about the simplest shape you can possibly mask.  We're providing scale 2" tape that was used on the real thing so you can emulate the very noticeable overspray seen on the real thing.

True. But you have no idea how much I like it when someone has done the work for me. Looking at them though I’m drawn more and more to the photographic versions. 

Grumman-F6F-5N-Hellcat-NRAB-Yellow-3-94286-NAS-St-Louis-01 3501d8434c721dca7e75387935037631 15765697926_ab027f41f0_o 42689029602_2914f35b98_h

Jennings,

Any chance we will see more from you covering post war USN/USN Reserve Hellcats?

Would love to do my Airfix kit as a Reserve unit.

Cheers Gaz.

Not in 1/24 scale for 100% absolute certain.  I'm not even sure we're making the right move by doing wartime birds in 1/24, but we'll see how it goes.  

Fortunately I made a huge math error in laying out the stencil bits (I made them 33% too big), so you'll be getting two 20x25 cm sheets instead of three.  Also, I've been messing around with Tamiya tape sheets and Oramask, and we're going to go with the Oramask.  I can't get consistent results from the Tamiya tape sheets.  Unless the blade is absolutely new, it tears the tape even at a setting of "0" on the cutting head.  It happens randomly, but since I'm going to have to cut 300 sets of these things (that's 600 total sheets to save you the math), I need consistent results. At a setting of "0" the Oramask cuts perfectly every time, and thus far I've seen zero shrinkage in anything I've done over the past few days.  Perhaps not ideal, but it's what a lot of the other commercial mask cutters are using, so I think for something this size it'll be okay.

Oramask will be fine. Any shrinkage that will occur is no more than a hairline where the mask component pulls back from the rest of the Oramask on the sheet anyway. I don’t think it’s true shrinkage per se but a release of tension on the sheet once a portion of it is cut. I’ve got stuff in the stash from Montex and Maketar that’s been there long term and there’s no increase in that tiny gap over the period of time I’ve had them there and some are a few years old now. Whilst I tend to only cut any masks I’m doing in Oramask right before I need them I have Zero issue buying a set of of the shelf stuff that may have been cut months ago either.