My big project! Trumpeter 1/16 Panther G

curiouslysophie

22 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Nice work!

Not having any experience w/big armor, is it a usual practice to make cut outs to reveal the internal detail, or just leave the top hull removable?

I would indeed think a project like this would take steam out of a modeler for sure.   I know a lot of big projects can get monotonous and the need to change gears is there a lot of the time IMHO. 

This is my first time doing an interior, the ones i’ve done before were R/C. I think some people do cutaways, most leave some sort of removable panels. I plan on having some panels so they come off, but most of the detail will be hidden away. I’m happy knowing it’s there though.

This has been a monster of a build, especially with all the corrections and scratchbuilding. The turret is a whole project on it’s own, and one that will wait till I’ve built a few planes!

I assume you have been to Bovington at least once. Must be nice to be close to the mother of all AFV museums. I think they are still cleaning pools of my drool off the floor.

Look forward to seeing more to your builds. I have to get to one of mine one of these days. Have to clear this stuff off my shelf of doom first.

8 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

I assume you have been to Bovington at least once. Must be nice to be close to the mother of all AFV museums. I think they are still cleaning pools of my drool off the floor.

Look forward to seeing more to your builds. I have to get to one of mine one of these days. Have to clear this stuff off my shelf of doom first.

I haven’t actually. I don’t drive and it’s a bit of a bugger to get to on public transport. I’m hoping to go some time soon though.

These large tanks are great, but so much work, especially if you’re a detail hound like me.

Yup, we drove. I think by public transportation you have to take a train, and then a bus? You need to figure something out because it is spectacular!

I am thinking of getting one of these:

s-l1600.png

They are supposed to be well done, and with no interior detail should be a much easier build. Also, they are about the size of a 1/35th Tiger!

17 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Yup, we drove. I think by public transportation you have to take a train, and then a bus? You need to figure something out because it is spectacular!

I am thinking of getting one of these:

s-l1600.png

They are supposed to be well done, and with no interior detail should be a much easier build. Also, they are about the size of a 1/35th Tiger!

wow the tanker looks huge. Can he fit inside it ? 

I actually climbed inside a Type 95 light ( a little bigger than the Type 94 ) and I fit at 5'-9"/165 lb.  It would be a fun ride through the city; a Suburban probably is bigger, though! I actually rode a M20 armored car through town as lookout once (Driver has bad vision left and right ) and it definitely gets some stares!

4 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Nice work! Are the interior labels in the kit, or our they AM?

They are a mix from AFV Modeller’s King Tiger and Panzer IV sets. They may not be 100% accurate for the Panther, but are close enough. I imagine they’ll be working on a set for the Panther at some point.

The Panzer IV decals are actually wet transfers, and are fantastic when the carrier film comes off