My big project! Trumpeter 1/16 Panther G

curiouslysophie

Hello everyone! As I’m new here I thought I should actually show off something I’m working on. My FW-190 isn’t ready to show yet, so here goes with the big, long term, build I’ve been doing. The Panther has always been my favourite tank mostly for how it looks, and I jumped at the chance to grab one of the large scale ones when Trumpeter released it.

I wanted to portray a Battle of the Bulge era Panther so the kit needed some modifications to make it into a late version. This kit is a bit of a bugger to build. Trumpeter use an unnecessary amount of parts for each piece, the detailing is way off (and sometimes completely fictional!), flash everywhere, and the tolerances between some parts don’t seem to account for you actually painting them! In the end though fettling away is what I’d fun about this hobby so I got stuck in.

Most of the lower hull is done. I’m still painting the shells, and there are a lot of them! The engine was a beauty to build, but is sadly mostly hidden away now. 

I hope you guys enjoy it!

9BAD8AAA-C804-4F78-9A8B-9AECE4BE9E2C_zps

15 minutes ago, Squizzy said:

Looking great do far, very nice paint, weathering and chipping done. I'll be following this build for sure, keep the updates coming! 

Thank you! Was trying to give this a war weary look, like it had seen heavy fighting. I'll post more as it comes along ^_^

15 minutes ago, ScanmanDan said:

That looks stunning.  More pictures please.  You have done so much work I'd like to see more of it.  What are your plans for showing off all this lovely detail in the finished build?  I'm really looking forward to more progress from your Panther build.  Thanks for sharing.

I didn't actually take all that many shots while I was building. I'll see if I can take some more later :D As for display I'd planned to have the panels on the engine deck, and the one with the forward hatches removable so you can see inside still. The turret will be fully removable and if I can make it work, have the roof removable. Trumpeter didn't make it easy to display sadly.

I have sort of a thing for 1:16 armor as well. On my "to get" list is the Jagdtiger (my personal favorite), M26 Pershing, Jagdpanther and JS-2. I have a stalled 1:16 T-34/85 going, and will eventually finish it, perhaps this winter.

I'll certainly look forward to seeing what you do with the big Panther.

Welcome to LSP Sophie, i'm totally not into armour modelling , so looking forward to some "flying" LSP from your side.....................

That does look nice! What are you using for references? Also, I mentioned this in your intro thread with a link, but have you discovered AFV Modeller's site yet? They have some internal odds and ends that would work nice in a Panther, from David Parker's incredible Tiger and PzIV builds. Also, maybe I shouldn't open this rabbit hole for you, but Shapeways has a lot of stuff for 1/16th scale kits.

2 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

That does look nice! What are you using for references? Also, I mentioned this in your intro thread with a link, but have you discovered AFV Modeller's site yet? They have some internal odds and ends that would work nice in a Panther, from David Parker's incredible Tiger and PzIV builds. Also, maybe I shouldn't open this rabbit hole for you, but Shapeways has a lot of stuff for 1/16th scale kits.

Thank you! I have a large selection of saved photographs, plus I’m part of a Facebook group that are building these kits. It’s a wonderful resource. I have many of the AFV parts already. David is working on Panther parts too I believe. 

I have seen the Shapeways stuff and it’s a great resource! I will be getting some parts to detail up the interior. I am trying to get hold of a crew heater for the rear deck atm. The build is a little stalled as I ran out of steam for it and got focused on my FW-190.

Nice work!

Not having any experience w/big armor, is it a usual practice to make cut outs to reveal the internal detail, or just leave the top hull removable?

I would indeed think a project like this would take steam out of a modeler for sure.   I know a lot of big projects can get monotonous and the need to change gears is there a lot of the time IMHO.