Posted (edited)

My understanding to date (which is admittedly limited) has always been that the F6F-5P carried one oblique camera on the left (port) side behind the wing. This is what the Aero Detail book shows (the caption says right side, but this is obviously the left side):

tuvkvh.jpg

The A.L. Bentley drawings (usually very reliable) in the SAM publications book by Tom Cleaver has this:

6IHjji.jpg

I’m wondering if that mount aft is a purely British thing or what?  

And then there’s this.  It clearly has a window centerline on the belly, with an oil diverter forward of it.  Again, this must be a purely British thing…  But it appears to have the recessed mount I circled in red above on BOTH sides.

EpxKtt.jpg

Anyone got any clarification?  The old D&S book doesn't even mention the -5P...

Thanks!

J

Edited by Jennings Heilig

Thanks man.  Too bad 90% of those pics are missing in action on that link.  Their assertion that all -5Ps (and all -5Ns for that matter) had 20mm cannons fitted is flat wrong. No -5P had them fitted (most didn't even have bomb pylons or rocket launcher stubs fitted - they wanted to be fast!), and there are precious few wartime -5Ns that had either the 20mm cannons or the fishtail exhaust flame dampers fitted.

Posted (edited)

So, once again, our research (well, really Wally's research and our joint effort at deciphering what he finds) has uncovered some previously uncharted territory.  Every single Hellcat reference I have shows one of two configurations for the F6F-5P:  a single port (left) side recessed oblique mount just above the lower kick step, or a much more elaborate British version that had big teardrop fairings around the ports, which were well aft on the fuselage, requiring the FAA to reposition the fuselage roundel.  That's it.  Nothing else is mentioned in any of the In-Actions, D&S, or even in the new SAM Publications book by Tom Cleaver.  

The -3Ps appear to have a different setup than what we're seeing on the -5Ps, so more research is called for.

Edited by Jennings Heilig

Any idea of the diameter of the hole, Jennings? I’m assuming (!) it’s a ‘standard’ camera. 

13 hours ago, GMK said:

Appears to by a US Navy sailor...but not sure about the aircraft. 

That’s the F6F-3P trimetrogon arrangement.  We haven’t found any photos of -5Ps with that setup during the war.  Dana Bell sent me some postwar pics of a GSB -5P like that, but nothing from during the war.  Not saying it didn’t exist, but we haven’t found it if it did, and operational reports have photo sorties flown by a pair of -5Ps more often than not, indicating one oblique and one vertical mount in each aircraft.  

I have the diameter of the hole on the oblique mount, but I’m not at home right now.  Please remind me in a few days (hopefully) when I’m home.