Is MRP and Mr. Paint acrylic lacquer the same thing?

Gazzas

They're one and the same thing. Mr. Paint rebranded as MRP in order to combat the ongoing confusion with the Mr. Color brand, but otherwise they're identical products. MRP did recently launch a new range of aqueous acrylics, which are a different thing. They're intended to give modellers a brush-paintable option for performing touch-ups, though ironically I only tested them for airbrushing:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1996

Kev

Thanks Kevin,

I was trawling through BNA's paints and was surprised to see how many military colors were available in their acrylic lacquers range which I've been curious to try out.  But then I noticed the bottle looked different from the one that ppl were picturing on threads here.

They're certainly a bit more expensive than the old bottle of Tamiya, though.  Added to that will be shipping...  I might as well buy enough bottles to get past BNA's free-shipping total...lol

Gaz

9 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Thanks Kevin,

I was trawling through BNA's paints and was surprised to see how many military colors were available in their acrylic lacquers range which I've been curious to try out.  But then I noticed the bottle looked different from the one that ppl were picturing on threads here.

They're certainly a bit more expensive than the old bottle of Tamiya, though.  Added to that will be shipping...  I might as well buy enough bottles to get past BNA's free-shipping total...lol

Gaz

But they are 30mls compared to 10mls for Tamiya’s.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2019 at 11:04 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

I've heard a rumour that MRP has begun replacing its glass bottles with plastic ones that feature a flip-top style lid. I haven't seen these yet, but I can only imagine this is a cost-saving measure.

Kev

I can confirm that rumor! 

I finally got in a bottle of back-logged RLM 04 and it indeed is plastic with the flip top lid.

I was pissed off.  I like the glass bottles.

No ball bearing or whatever on the inside for shaking, either.

4 hours ago, ringleheim said:

No ball bearing or whatever on the inside for shaking, either.

Yep, they stopped putting the BBs in the glass bottles too, prior to switching over to the plastic bottles. I thought the BBs were a great idea, and really helped mix up the paint.