Airscale vs Yahoo IPs-any comments?

iaf-man

I haven't used Airscale instruments yet, but they do look superb and will go on my 1/24 Harrier when I get to it.

The Yahu panels for the Spitfires and Hurricanes (and I think I also have a couple of Tempest ones somewhere) are peerless, and difficult to see how they could be improved.

They're light years ahead of the regular Eduard pre-printed panels in both finesse and fine detail.

Just wish they'd include some F-4 and F-104 panels in their range.

Edited by Chek

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Kind of apples vs. oranges.  Yahu panels are a drop fit replacement for the kit panel.  Airscale uses outstanding decals to supplement the kit panel.

Well not really,  They do decals, plycards, cockpit components, and several complete panels but most are 1/24.  It's nice stuff!

https://www.airscale.co.uk/store.html#!/Photo-Etch-Panels-with-Decals/c/16104112/offset=0&sort=normal

I've used Yahu panels for builds and really like them. Much better than Eduard ones in that you get a good colour match to the cockpit colour. Quite often Yahu tell you that it was matched to a certain paint colour usually a Gunze one so you can use that paint to ensure they match. You also dont get that weird lined finish you get with Eduard panels. I've used both styles of Airscale ones in using the instrument dial decals to fill in details on other panels and then the panels you build yourself. I've only used the ones you make up yourself in 1/24 scale. They take a little time and patience but you get a great result if you take your time and paint hem up nicely. You get a sheet of thing acetate to use for the glass in the dials but I dont use that, I use UV gel glue for that in all scales. Another nice thing about the Airscale build up panels is the pre drilled holes and slots for switches and levers that should be on the panel. I have snapped a lot of drill pits trying to drill through the metal of other panels to do the adding of switches and whatnot.

I should also add I've purchased a couple of the Eduard 'look' panels out of sheer curiosity and laziness for a couple of Hasegawa 109's as those are panels I've not had much luck painting in the past for whatever reason. They aren't perfect but a decent option. More so than a regular Eduard etch panel I'd say. I feel like I'm cheating using these ones. I dont know why I feel more of a cheat using these than any other type that I dont have to make or paint myself but I do. 

The only problem I've found with Airscale decals and PE bezels is that they are actually to-scale (if you can call that a problem when we get upset that a kit is 1-2mm off in total length).  When using the decals with kit IPs, the decals are normally a little larger than the kit instrument bezel because the kit maker had to take into account the thickness of the plastics parts and design some parts a little under-scale.  Airscale's new decals include colored rings for the bezels of the instruments as needed, e.g., yellow and red for fuel/oil levels and pressures and blue for O2.

I like the newer Eduard PE IPs that have separate bezels that you glue on which gives a more realistic look than the panels that just use flat PE for the front of the IP.

Bill