Dragon Bf 109E-4B

LSP_K2

I've already made some preliminary work, but not all that much so far. This will be a mostly OOB effort, hopefully to be completed before a local show here in September. Necessity forced me to order replacement wheel well inserts, as those in the kit were warped and very, very brittle.

Gn3szT.jpg

Here are the replacements, already installed.

KDsK6S.jpg

looking forward to how you get the cowling parts together given some have had major issues here, and yet every completed model i have seen looks sweet

what scheme you going for?

fyi I am asking Top Notch Masks to do some custom JG27 numbers for me if that is of interest to you / anyone ...

12 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

looking forward to how you get the cowling parts together given some have had major issues here, and yet every completed model i have seen looks sweet

what scheme you going for?

fyi I am asking Top Notch Masks to do some custom JG27 numbers for me if that is of interest to you / anyone ...

So far, I've encountered no problems with the engine and various cowl pieces, they seem fine, and fit is just excellent. This will be done up like the 109 featured in one of the Kagero books. Someone here on LSP (I forget who) sent me the decals from the book to use on this project.

Z8jmW4.jpg

cool scheme!

i think it's Ade (Rowlands?) who has had issues on four consecutive kits

I haven't built one yet but am just about to, so I would be grateful for a step by step of how you get it all together - and so will Ade :popcorn:

5 minutes ago, Mebo said:

Hi Kevin

I sent you the decals. ;)

I am happy they finally showed up. I was worried they got lost in transit.

Happy modelling  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Mikkel

I've actually had them for quite a long while now. I assumed that I'd let you know that I received them, but it's been so long now that I really don't remember. Thanks a ton though, they should look pretty cool on the model.

2 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I've actually had them for quite a long while now. I assumed that I'd let you know that I received them, but it's been so long now that I really don't remember. Thanks a ton though, they should look pretty cool on the model. 

No problem. I am happy they are with you.

Looking forward to your build. I plan to build this bird soon too.  (using masks)

Cheers

I know where I've gone wrong now. It was adding the fuselage floor to the cockpit floor as per the instructions. Problems in my builds have resulted in chasing issues caused by that in 2 of my 4 attempts. Build number one was just all kinds of horrible from my own faults though. This last build was going fine. Following kit instructions except for adding the machine gun deck which I know for a fact caused the cover for the guns to not fit without sanding if fitted. Problems then came from the built up 4 piece cowl being too tall for the fuselage but about 2mm. Could see how as up to then it was all going fine. Then I cottoned on. It comes from adding that fuselage lower part as instructed. I even had to sand the fit at the part it joins the fuselage halves at the rear for a flush fit as the fuselage bottom was lower than the fuselage halves. Wing fit wasn't stellar at the wing bottoms either. So to my mind, the gluing of the fuselage bottom to the cockpit floor early on is the culprit. Dont do that, add it to the fuselage halve when joined up later on. Get a much better fit and you shouldn't end up chasing issues with the cowl fit. I've managed to find another kit to try again and test my theory.

Nice choice for markings. I plan to do same bird got the decals and kit but no time unfortunaly. Anyway how will u handle Fiesler type air intake ?. I was lucky enough to have one left from my Alley Cat Bf 109T conversion

9 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

So to my mind, the gluing of the fuselage bottom to the cockpit floor early on is the culprit. Dont do that, add it to the fuselage halve when joined up later on. Get a much better fit and you shouldn't end up chasing issues with the cowl fit. I've managed to find another kit to try again and test my theory.

Too late, I'd already attached the 'pit to the fuselage bottom. I'll just have to see how it goes, I guess.

8 hours ago, Lud13 said:

Nice choice for markings. I plan to do same bird got the decals and kit but no time unfortunaly. Anyway how will u handle Fiesler type air intake ?. I was lucky enough to have one left from my Alley Cat Bf 109T conversion

I believe the Dragon kit already has that intake included, though I'd need to confirm that.

4 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

If it were me now, knowing what I know and where I’ve gone wrong. I’d take a saw to the pegs the cockpit floor attaches to the fuselage bottom at and separate them. It’ll cause you problems if you follow the instructions. 

I appreciate the input, and I'll certainly seriously consider that. Thanks a bunch.