RAAF special occasion Mirage buggy FINISHED.

ericg

Thanks guys.

On 9/16/2019 at 4:36 AM, Out2gtcha said:

Wow that looks great!   Is the rest of teh platform yellow/yellow wheels it looks like?  The plywood decal really adds to it

Yes it is yellow as per the tug.

Some more work.

I finished the tractor, weathering it a bit more than I would like, but it has added a lot of character to the scene. I also scratch built the searchlight on the bonnet.

IMG_0381-X4.jpg

IMG_0369-X4.jpg

IMG_0363-X5.jpg

IMG_0334-X5.jpg

One of the challenging aspects of this build has been getting the straps securing the buggy to the trailer right. I scratch built the hook and ratchet assembly from plastic card.

IMG_0688-X4.jpg

As I needed a couple of these, I copied them in resin.

IMG_0682-X4.jpg

A thin strip of Tamiya tape makes up the strap.

IMG_0677-X4.jpg

A test fit of the strap. 

IMG_0549-X5.jpg

I painted one and rolled it up

IMG_0679-X4.jpg

In the photo of Sean, it looks as if there is something in the stowage basket on the rear of the tug, whilst I can’t prove what was in there, I thought the rolled up strap might look pretty good, as if it has been chucked in there in case the buggy started to fall off.

IMG_0720-X5.jpg

I glossed up the buggy in preparation for the decals, using simply THE BEST clear gloss I have ever used. 

IMG_0717-X5.jpg

Edited by ericg

The trailer was next to be finished.

I added some extra detail to it, which I was almost about to leave off. This particular trailer has a handbrake system fitted which is visible under the deck between the front and rear wheels in the picture of Sean posted earlier. There is a small hand brake lever under the front of the trailer, connected to two wires that run to disk brakes on the rear axle. If it hadn't been for Max's excellent photos, I would have had no idea how this was all supposed to look!

IMG_0726-X5.jpg

IMG_0727-X5.jpg

I added a number plate which is also visible in the reference pic. I have a special no. picked out for it which will be placed there once I get the decals made up.

IMG_0735-X4.jpg

This was a tough little bugger to make but certainly worth it in the end.

IMG_0732-X4.jpg

The status as it sits now. I am waiting on the decals, and just need to do the straps and it will be done!

IMG_0738-X5.jpg 

That is one of the coolest projects I have seen in a long time! I'm astonished by the level of detail you put into it all. And the finish is so convincing: the plywood platform, the scratches and weathering are all so authentic. I don't think it's too much. 

Wow, excellent job. Thanks for sharing that.

Richard

• 1 month later...

Cheers guys.

Some more work.  I hope to have this finished in time for the upcoming model show in Canberra in a couple of weeks, so my attention has turned to the display base. 

I cut a suitable shape out of 3mm board.

IMG_1141-X5.jpg

I glued squares of 600 grit wet and dry sandpaper to the board to represent the texture of concrete. I then painted the base with SMS Haze grey, and then mottled a darker shade of the grey over it. I blended it in with a thin coat of the Mod grey and then used the salt technique to give it a worn look by spraying the darker shade over the dried salt that I had sprinkled over the wet base. I then painted the white lines on it before flicking a muddy mix of oil paints over the base.

IMG_1147-X5.jpg

IMG_1159-X5.jpg

I made up a plinth from Tasmanian Oak, which I will attach a plaque to the front.

IMG_1165-X5.jpg

20 hours ago, ericg said:

Cheers guys.

Some more work.  I hope to have this finished in time for the upcoming model show in Canberra in a couple of weeks, so my attention has turned to the display base. 

I cut a suitable shape out of 3mm board.

IMG_1141-X5.jpg

I glued squares of 600 grit wet and dry sandpaper to the board to represent the texture of concrete. I then painted the base with SMS Haze grey, and then mottled a darker shade of the grey over it. I blended it in with a thin coat of the Mod grey and then used the salt technique to give it a worn look by spraying the darker shade over the dried salt that I had sprinkled over the wet base. I then painted the white lines on it before flicking a muddy mix of oil paints over the base.

IMG_1147-X5.jpg

IMG_1159-X5.jpg

I made up a plinth from Tasmanian Oak, which I will attach a plaque to the front.

IMG_1165-X5.jpg

Wondered where you'd got to! Looks cool!

Cheers Bevan 

Thanks guys.

A small update.

I decided I wanted to do something special for the number plate on the trailer. My good mate Dave Coupe has been doing custom ALPS printed decals for most of my special projects for a long time now and his assistance has been so valuable, not just with the decals themselves but with research and pictures that I have found useful for those projects. I couldn’t find any examples of actual trailer number plate numbers, so I asked him ‘what do you reckon about 326873’ which is D.COUPE spelt using a telephone handset. He thought the rivet counters would get stuck into it as the plates all started with a 2 so we compromised and went with 268733, which is COUPE.D. A fitting way to say thanks Dave!

IMG_1178-X4.jpg

Onto the finish of this project. 

It was recommended to me that a good addition to the basket on the rear of the trailer would be a set of chocks. My good mate Dave happened to have one of them and he willingly photographed and measured it up for me so that I could scratch build it.

I carved one out of a chunk of resin, and made a copy of the master. I figured I might do a couple of extra copies for the RAAF models  that I already have in the cabinet.

IMG_1201-X5.jpg

Suitably weathered

IMG_1182-X4.jpg

’thrown’ into the back of the tractor.

IMG_1192-X5.jpg

I used strips of Tamiya tape that I primed and painted to depict the ratchet straps. A lot of time went into working out where each one went, given the limited reference photos available.

IMG_1194-X5.jpg

I spent the morning patiently waiting for the postie to arrive, after Dave let me know that the decals were in the overnight post. Given the approaching weekend, and the fact that the Canberra show is only a week away with a busy week of my day job ahead of me, my heart sunk when the postie cruised on past my house without stopping, only to be filled with happiness when he miraculously did a U turn and come back, small envelope in hand.this was the moment I had been waiting for!

The decals took a bit of tweaking size wise, but other than that, they came out great.

IMG_1222-X5.jpg

IMG_1219-X5.jpg

Now the project was finished. I will take studio photos soon but in the meantime, here are some workbench pics. Many thanks to those that assisted with this project.

IMG_1235-X5.jpg

IMG_1228-X5.jpg

IMG_1254-X5.jpg