Aurbrush question

Woody V

3 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

If the needle is stuck in the nozzle due to dried paint, it allows you to manually pull the needle free without having to unscrew the rear of the airbrush.

Best answer so far but then what?

Now you have a free moving needle that you still have to take the handle off to clean. 

1 hour ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Best answer so far but then what?

Now you have a free moving needle that you still have to take the handle off to clean. 

I rarely need to pull the needle out.  Usually, it’s the tip of the needle stuck in the nozzle due to dried paint, not the middle part of the needle stuck in the body of the airbrush.  Once you get it unstuck, you can either spray thinner/cleaner through the needle normally, or remove the nozzle and clean out the nozzle and the front end of the needle.

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I rarely need to pull the needle out.  Usually, it’s the tip of the needle stuck in the nozzle due to dried paint, not the middle part of the needle stuck in the body of the airbrush.  Once you get it unstuck, you can either spray thinner/cleaner through the needle normally, or remove the nozzle and clean out the nozzle and the front end of the needle.

I have the H&S one shown in the photo and there's no way to grasp the needle through the opening. It's just not big/long enough. If I want to grasp the needle I still have to remove the end piece. The only thing I can do through that opening is loosen the nut, and that's why I'm asking.

Please don't think I'm trying to be difficult, but until I discovered that you can blow a gallon of cleaner through the airbrush and not touch the paint in the cavity between the back of the cup and the rear needle seal the only place paint dried was in that cavity. Now I use an eyedropper with a curved tip to force cleaner into that cavity which does the trick between colors. When I'm finished for the day I break the airbrush down for a thorough cleaning.

3 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

I have the H&S one shown in the photo and there's no way to grasp the needle through the opening. It's just not big/long enough. If I want to grasp the needle I still have to remove the end piece. The only thing I can do through that opening is loosen the nut, and that's why I'm asking.

Please don't think I'm trying to be difficult, but until I discovered that you can blow a gallon of cleaner through the airbrush and not touch the paint in the cavity between the back of the cup and the rear needle seal the only place paint dried was in that cavity. Now I use an eyedropper with a curved tip to force cleaner into that cavity which does the trick between colors. When I'm finished for the day I break the airbrush down for a thorough cleaning.

I’m just telling you what I use the cutouts in my Iwata HP-CS for.  Whether or not that’s what they are really for, I don’t know.  I pull on the nut and usually it’s tightened enough that the needle moves with it.  If I pull on the nut and the needle is still stuck, then more disassembly is needed.  Also, I guess you could tighten the nut if it came loose, but I’ve never had any need to do that.

I havn't used my H&S I in a long time as the needle is HELLA delicate but you learn something new every day!     

However, I have long since replace the OOB handle that exposed this area on my Iwata...............I'm wondering what the purpose is of this area on my HP-CS as it does not have the same trigger restricting mechanism as the Infinity does?   It would seem really hard to do any actual adjusting without full removal of the end handle......

ECL4500_HP-CS-A1_670x298.jpg

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

I havn't used my H&S I in a long time as the needle is HELLA delicate but you learn something new every day!     

However, I have long since replace the OOB handle that exposed this area on my Iwata...............I'm wondering what the purpose is of this area on my HP-CS as it does not have the same trigger restricting mechanism as the Infinity does?   It would seem really hard to do any actual adjusting without full removal of the end handle......

ECL4500_HP-CS-A1_670x298.jpg

Page 8 of the Iwata manual.  “The cutaway handle (#19) is a special feature on the Eclipse. Its purpose is to free up paint clogs that may have formed at the tip of the airbrush without removing the handle and the needle.”

https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/ECL101-IM.pdf

Which is exactly what I said in my posts in this thread.

2 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Page 8 of the Iwata manual.  “The cutaway handle (#19) is a special feature on the Eclipse. Its purpose is to free up paint clogs that may have formed at the tip of the airbrush without removing the handle and the needle.”

It does make sense, it just seems hard to do, as every time in the past I have gone to adjust the needle to free a clog, I've had to loosen the adjusting nut, then back the needle out a bit, which requires removal of the handle. 

On 6/17/2019 at 12:22 PM, Archer Fine Transfers said:

I know I'm probably be embarrassed by the answer, but for the life of me I cannot figure the purpose these cut outs in airbrush handles.

Enlighten me.

169370586.jpg

An extra £20 on the asking price.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

True, if you can pull the needle chuck back beyond the distance it travels with the trigger. That makes sense. Good point.