Gazzas

Warplanes redone as racers

Posted (edited)

And for the fun, the Canadian Snowbirds on a lap around the pylons after their display flight

IMG-5588.jpg

It's not only the unlimited (the ex-warbirds) but the other categories (Jets, T-6, Biplane, etc) and the show. You never get board, there is always something going on like the unexpected low pass from a U2. Never thought I would ever see the dark lady in flight.

IMG-4793.jpg

Edited by discus

Wow, the Snowbirds on a lap at Reno!!!!

Super cool......I bet they had fun doing that!

Even the biplane class has a lot of cool very unique aircraft.

And if you've never seen or heard a gaggle of T-6s racing in person, its something you'll never forget.

this is like my pet subject so I have a few..

first the most beautiful Mosquito scheme ever - this was the subject of a 1/24 build I never completed - my first build after 20 years, VH-KLG..

19_zpsiildwnvr.jpg

..then just some from my collection of civvies / racers..

P40_zps24ubuxl1.jpg

P47%201_zpsyodz3gcp.jpg

P38%201_zps16uxbxgb.jpg

P39_zpsfdtxanfj.jpg

F24_zps55t9aryt.jpg

P38_zpsozh7oerg.jpg

LB30_zpstxvouvxm.jpg

topical, this one - anyone for 1/24th...

F6_zpsf4qbdbim.jpg

F6F%201_zpswtdn6s06.jpg

F6F_zpsvnsthq9r.jpg

A26%201_zps547cjpo2.jpg

DH98_zpscndvr9fa.jpg

DH98%201_zpsfsq16e1n.jpg

HK anyone?

B17%201_zpsymspjagu.jpg

Peter

Wow!  More great photos!  Thanks!

It makes me wonder:  "what would a guy have to pay to buy a war-surplus aircraft?"

I know that after the war, they were just pushing them off the decks of carriers into the sea.

47 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

It makes me wonder:  "what would a guy have to pay to buy a war-surplus aircraft?"

I've been to EAAs "AirVenture" in Osh Kosh WI many, many times (if you've never been GO!!!!) and there is a bulletin board there off show center heading to warbird alley, that always has warbirds for sale in all kinds of conditions.

You can get a flying, restored T-28 for 200,000 to 350,000, and a restored T-6 for 100,000 to 200,000 depending on how nice the resto is. A flying B-25 will set you back 5,000,000 - 10,000,000 for a real nicely restored flying example, a parts Mustang restored and unfinished will set you back 800,000, and your not getting into a nicely restored flying P-51 for less than 2,000,000. Most nicely restored Mustangs are going for 2,200,000 to 3,000,000 these days.

1 minute ago, Out2gtcha said:

I've been to EAAs "AirVenture" in Osh Kosh WI many, many times (if you've never been GO!!!!) and there is a bulletin board there off show center heading to warbird alley, that always has warbirds for sale in all kinds of conditions.

You can get a flying, restored T-28 for 200,000 to 350,000, and a restored T-6 for 120,000 to 200,000 depending on how nice the resto is. A flying B-25 will set you back 5,000,000 - 10,000,000 for a real nicely restored flying example, a parts Mustang restored and unfinished will set you back 800,000, and your not getting into a nicely restored flying P-51 for less than 2,000,000. Most nicely restored Mustangs are going for 2,200,000 to 3,000,000 these days.

Heh...  thanks for the info Brian.  What I should have typed, was "What would he have paid at the end of 1945."

6 minutes ago, Lee in Texas said:

The new issue of Warbirds International (July/August 2019) has a story about returning the "Critical Mass" racer back into mostly stock 2-seat Sea Fury form.

Now THAT is a big shame right there.  None of the race groups wanted to use dual seat Sea Furys to race, and Critical Mass was one of the most unique and popular racers out there.......not to mention, to most the dual seat Sea Fury is one of the least attractive War Birds out there.

Unfortunately, it's a money game with the Unlimited racers/War Birds these days, and they are worth SO much more in stock configuration, that it doesnt pay to keep them as heavily modified racers. Sad really. CM was one of my favorites.