Gazzas

Warplanes redone as racers

1 hour ago, Gazzas said:

I wonder:  When people model aircraft like these do they still make some attempts at paint modulation under a high gloss surface?

I dont. There is usually a high gloss shine, and if you get close to them nearly 0 panel lines showing (dirty or otherwise) and nearly no discernible modulation between panels. 

Here is one of Pauls Sea Furys I did for the 2011 Nationals. LOTS of gloss and flat, but no modulation:

DSC00577-X2.jpg

13 hours ago, nmayhew said:

I confess I cringe when looking at these pictures - it's just sacreligious to do that to these old planes

wish I had never looked at this thread but, as they say, 'what has been seen can never be unseen' :ph34r:

Yup, couldn't agree more, my eyes really hurt. Boo hoo! 

15 hours ago, nmayhew said:

I confess I cringe when looking at these pictures - it's just sacreligious to do that to these old planes

wish I had never looked at this thread but, as they say, 'what has been seen can never be unseen' :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

Yup, couldn't agree more, my eyes really hurt. Boo hoo! 

I actually did think like you two..........before I went to Reno. 

They are SO gorgeous up close and personal, with smooth lines, no dirt most anywhere, amazing paint, and performance that rivals anything on the planet......but the sound;  the sound these things make is unexplainable when they come by. It's even more unbelievable when they come over you. 500 mph+ stirs something in the soul when you are this close....

Reno goes back more than 50 years, and in the long run it's the Unlimited racers that should be mourned, as they are gradually fading away.

In most all cases, the Unlimiteds are turned back into Warbirds in the end.

Thanks for the share, Brian! 

Personally I think it's great to see these things still flying even if they have been denuded of their former drab paint schemes and been enhanced here and there. 

Gaz

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:13 AM, nmayhew said:

I must say I disagree.  While these machines were awesome deliverers of death and destruction, I think there's something very nice about their being repurposed to the aesthetic, mechanical, and love of aviation purity of peacetime air racing.  Just magnificent machines!

Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2019 at 12:12 AM, Out2gtcha said:

I actually did think like you two..........before I went to Reno. 

Same here. The first time I red an article on RAR, I was angry seeing what these machine where turned into (I was still a kid back then).

Many years later I went to Reno (I still had my doubts, especially about seeing planes flying in circles during several days) and totally changed my mind. I think I fell in love... :wub:

What they do with these beauty is simply amazing. and in the end, better see them like this that rotting in a dark barn or turned into a soda can.

Now I have several of these beauties on display:

IMG-8461.jpg

IMG-9297.jpg

IMG-1984.jpg

IMG-6234.jpg

Edited by discus

Posted (edited)

Great discussion guys,  some great kits on display as well. I have been dreaming about Reno ever since I was a little kid and my Dad told me about these crazy racers in old warbirds. The sheer idea of turning an old fighter plane into a racer screams American dream !, all the way. I know, that might sound little cliché, but it wasn't like that when I was a youngster :)

It's a great tradition that saved lots of old planes, dreams and memories.

DSC_0181+-+Copy.JPG

DSC_0566.JPG

DSC_0542.JPG

2016-reno-air-race-108.jpg?auto=format,c

Edited by Martinnfb

La Patrona!!!    La Patrona/N805MB is one of the few Reno racers that has eluded me in person. Ive gone to the races, but have yet to see N805MB fly.  One day I hope!