Gazzas

Warplanes redone as racers

Hi everyone,

I know there have been P-51's, Spitfires, and P-63's used and painted as racing planes.  Anyone know of others?

Pix appreciated!

Thanks!

Gaz

Great photos, Guys!!  They look awesome!  I always thought the 109 was just a model.  Those would all make great alternatives!

Gaz

I confess I cringe when looking at these pictures - it's just sacreligious to do that to these old planes

wish I had never looked at this thread but, as they say, 'what has been seen can never be unseen' :ph34r:

56 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

I confess I cringe when looking at these pictures - it's just sacreligious to do that to these old planes

wish I had never looked at this thread but, as they say, 'what has been seen can never be unseen' :ph34r:

Oh, I think they are amazing.  The redone Corsairs are particularly interesting.   There just comes a time when you need to step away from camoflage and consider something different.

The older races like Thompson or Schneider had some amazing colors as well... just not warplanes. One of my favorite race planes didn't race, but was the whole P-36 squadron that went to the National Air Races and had those wild and crazy camo alternatives. The P-36 with black, white, OD and sand (that is often portrayed as orange) camouflage and a frog on the ammo case was only the squadron leader's plane. The rest were just as fascinating in variation.

Tnarg