Airfix 1/24 Classics From The 60's and 70's wheel well Question

109ace

I am currently making wheelwell inserts for the Spitfire and the Bf109E. Are there any other aircraft in the series that also suffer open wheel wells? I have the Spitfire inserts completed and on sale now. ( check the vendors board) I will have the Bf109E set ready for tomorrow. I've built the Fw190 years ago and can not remember if it had wheel wells.

64451872-2224584454291344-32772570870626

64503995-2224584554291334-56981169625261

64434898-2224584900957966-62797132759448

64385271-2224584757624647-15000129386714

I am really glad to see you are making a wheel well upgrade for these kits. I have been wanting to do the Airfix 109 I have, so thank you for addressing that area of the kit. Any plans to create additional parts for the 109?

1 hour ago, GDW said:

I am really glad to see you are making a wheel well upgrade for these kits. I have been wanting to do the Airfix 109 I have, so thank you for addressing that area of the kit. Any plans to create additional parts for the 109?

I don't have the kit myself. I am making these two sets for the Spit and 109 using borrowed wing sections. I am open to suggestions of needs to improve the kits. I always thought the 109 an amazing kit save them lack of enclosed wheel wells.

For me, the aftermarket improvements I would like to have are new exhaust stacks and replacements for the spinner and propeller hub. I am not a 109E expert but the Airfix kit spinner and propeller hub do not look good to me when I leaf through my reference. I have always wanted to replace those items but have not felt that I am up to the task of making the hub. 

I will provide you with a complete kit if you decide to create more improvements! Shoot me a PM if that sounds like a plan.

Here are a couple photos of the kit parts...

te0xCcl.jpg

AdQgfjf.jpg

And some of the real thing, which I took at the RAF Museum, in Hendon.

lkQ30XL.jpg

dKCjjCZ.jpg

One from the net to illustrate further,

sMHOggy.jpg

Here is a picture from a beautiful build of this kit. The prop/spinner is unmodified though and the photo is a good one for comparing what is provided by Airfix, out of the box and the pictures above.

7RR1Lht.jpg

Thanks for directing some attention to these classics! Greg

Edited by GDW

The only 1/24th kit not to need wheel well treatment is the Stuka. The FW190 is the best, but could still do with detailing. At least it has a bulkhead. I'll buy everything you do though leave the Harrier till last, after 109 exhausts. And side bracing for Spitfire gun bays please.

I think that Airfix knew their initial child market well: do you want a P-51 with guns/bombs/rockets? Or a wheelwell? 

8 hours ago, iaf-man said:

The P-51 needs wheel wells-there's none in the kit

7 hours ago, BaldEagle said:

Definitely the P-51.

5 hours ago, Ossington 1 said:

P-51

Model Monkey has stated that he'll be producing a wheel well for the Airfix kit, and it will be available later this year. 

I'd like wheel wells for all of the other WWII Airfix 1/24 kits, as long as they look something like the actual wheel wells, and not just walls around the holes. Some sample pics of proper resin wheel wells for these subjects in smaller scales:

wbLVOlR.jpg

cuxrcIf.jpg

i9mXLeS.jpg

7YCLFc0.jpg

Even simplified versions for people to detail themselves would be fine - as long as an accurate basic shape is there to work with.

Just my .02.

D

One caution with the sets in smaller scales - the Spitfire wells are for later Marks and have slanted walls, while I believe the Mk I had vertical walls. I say this from photos I have examined - I haven't examined the actual aircraft (yet). Also, detail at the roof of the wheel well is different for the Mk I vs later Marks.

PR

I will be producing wheelwells for the P-51D. These will be released within the month of July, 2019. This set will be in addition to sets for the Spitfire and Bf109E that are both on sale now.