1:48 Monogram B-17G Build Log

steinerman

I haven't had a lot of time to mess with this,  but I'm still sanding, patching, and sanding........  The fit isn't all that bad, but still, there's a fair amount of work involved.

48116584778_d83d383a3e_b.jpg

48116647522_32a92cca0d_b.jpg

But the main reason I wanted to post was to show you my new toy!!  Soon I'll be able to play with the big boys!  Problem is, my wife says I can't start it until my B-17 is finished.  Should I listen to her or not?  Once I start, I'll start a build log.

48116553711_94b26e0c8b_b.jpg

48116553686_a95a7c8ea2_b.jpg

Damn, that looks like it's going to be a lot of fun!!

Later gents - and ladies!

Lar

1 hour ago, steinerman said:

Problem is, my wife says I can't start it until my B-17 is finished.  Should I listen to her or not?  Once I start, I'll start a build log.

Strongly suggest "NOT"  no offense to the misses, but this is your down time not hers. My wife get's that and says absolutely nothing about what I start, when I start it or if I finish it.  She does comment from time to time on my purchases but she doesn't cause me grief over it, just an eye roll from time to time, which many times I have to agree.

If the Tomcat is tickling the fancy then start it....

• 3 months later...

Hi Friends!

Yeah, I know, I haven't been around much as of late.  I do check this site out every day but since I don't do a lot of constructive modeling during the summer, I really don't have much to post.  And, as I'm pretty sure you don't want to see pictures of me mowing the yard or painting the side of the house (Damn 1:1 scale modeling is for the birds!), I haven't much to report on.  However, now that the weather has cooled off a bit and it isn't time to start raking the dang leaves yet, I've been spending a little time working on both my USS Missouri and also this B-17.

Since I haven't updated this thread since June, I figured I'd start with this.  Besides, I don't have a lot to show you on my ship yet - I'm not at a good stopping point yet.  So, here's where I'm at on this bomber.   First, I put the wings together and mounted the main landing gear struts.  I had to do this before the wings were glued because I had Eduard PE glued in there that was in the way.  The fit between the top and bottom was OK, but as any of you know who build this kit, the seams at the engine nacelles is a big pain in the a$$!  Lots of filling and sanding before it starts to look right.  The rear stabilizers went together fine with just a slight amount of sanding at the seams.  Then I gave the wings and stabilizers a black spray to see how well I did on the seams.  Not good!  So, more sanding and filling, and sanding and filling and rechecking until I got it to where I liked what I saw - or couldn't see, rather!  Then I shot all 4 pieces, along with the engine cowlings, with gloss black and Alclad aluminum.  To be honest, I'm not 100% sold on Alclad paints.  To me, they're too finicky and too hard to get to come out right.  I don't think I'll use them on any more models I build.

01 Wing bottom

02 Wing Top

03 Stabilizers

In addition to the Eduards exterior PE set, I also bought a set of resin wheels and tires.  Right now I can't remember the vendor, but they look sharp and when sprayed with Tamiya "Rubber Black" they look great.

04 Wheels

Right now I'm working on the fuselage and I'm in the fill and sand phase.  Fill, sand, spray and examine.  Then do it all over again, and again - and again.  I'm sure you all know the drill!  Up until now I used Vallejo 100% acrylic plastic putty and had fairly good success with it.  However, I was reading Chuck's latest "KIcked Up a Notch" thread on his F-5 last night where he mentioned that he used CA to fill seams, along with an accelerator.  So, I decided to try it and see what success I have. I can't say for sure because I just tried it for the first time today and I won't spray the seams until tomorrow.  I can say that it looks good under a bright light and it feels good when I run my fingernails over the seams.  I do hope this works because when I'm done with this kit, I'm going to start on my old Monogram 1:48 B-29, and there are a lot of seams on that beast.

05 Sanding1

06 Sanding2

07 Sanding 3

So, there you have it.  Not a lot to show for 4+ months, but hey, I have a house and a wife and both of them have a lot higher priority than my hobbies.  I will try to post more often - with the key word being "try".

Take care, friends,

Larry

On 6/18/2019 at 7:57 AM, mustang1989 said:

I've got this same kit in the stash. I've been wanting to build it for a looooong time and I'd say that I've had it for as long as you've had yours here. Looking forward to more. 

so do i; two of them in fact, with a ton of am thanks to ray. with the new fortress to be eventually released, I'll probably hold off for that kit now.

I built this kit probably some time around 1982.  That's a guess.  This is the first time I have closely looked at photos of the parts since then!  Holy cow...scale modeling has moved a long way down the road since this kit was new! 

Larry, you seem to be moving along in a nice, coordinated manner.  I have no doubt you will make this old kit look really nice when it's finished.

19 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Timely update, as I was just gifted one of these kits. Now I have to figure out what to do with it!

Kev

Hi Kev!  Well, I'd say "Play with it".  Since you didn't pay any money for it, let the kid in you out and have fun.  Me, I'm using mine as sort of a test bed. Since my modeling to date has been mostly ships, I'm trying different things with this and kind of experimenting.  Like now, I'm trying different metal finishes trying to find one I like.  I'll never enter this in any contest or anything so I'm sort of "honing my skills" before I tackle my big, expensive Tomcat!  It'll look OK when I'm done, but it will be far from perfect.