1:48 Monogram B-17G Build Log

steinerman

I said I was going to start this, so here is the first post.  Before I start, however, I need to know something.  What is the max size photos that are allowed here?  I typically downsize my photos to 1024 pixels for the largest dimension, but I thought I read somewhere here that you were supposed to keep it under 800 pixels.  Can I use 1024 or should I keep them under 800.  Can someone please advise?

OK, let's get started.  As I stated in my introductory post in the General Comments section, I was cleaning out some stuff in my attic and ran across some old models I'd started and never finished.  Among the lot were three Monogram models of WWII bombers; a 1:48 scale B-17G, a 1:48 B-29, and a 1:72 B-36 Peacemaker.  Both the B-29 and the B-36 indicates on the box that it is "The largest plastic model ever produced", so I'm assuming the B-36 was produced after the B-29, as it has a larger wingspan.

I decided to take a break from my 1:200 Trumpeter USS Missouri and work on one of these airplanes for a while.  Actually, I'll probably alternate - working on one for a while and then switching to the other.  That way I can hopefully avoid burnout. 

The bomber I chose to finish was the B-17G.  As near as I an remember it was the first one I bought, probably back in the mid 80's I'd guess.  The box is pretty much beat to crap but after I dusted it off and opened it, the contents were in surprisingly good shape.

B-17-01

Everything was there and except for two of the nose machine gun barrels nothing appeared to be broken.  But, since the kit is probably a good 30+ years old, I figured that the decals were not in the best of shape and probably it would be wise if I bought new ones.  So, off to Sprue Brothers for a couple new decal sets. 

Taking stock of my accomplishments years ago, I decided that while the interior of the bomber wasn't the best, it wasn't all that bad, either - what you could see, that is, and besides, there wasn't a lot I could do about it anyway. seeing as how the fuselage was glued together.  So, I decided to leave the inside alone and concentrate on the exterior.  Once I decided this, I ordered the Eduard Exterior photo-etch set for this kit as well.  I will be buying the Eduard Engine PE set shortly, but not right now.  It's a matter of $$$$$ if you catch my drift.  I've been spending so much on my battleship that I don't want my better half to start complaining.  Besides, I just bought a new airbrush and I've got to cool it a bit for a while.

Anyway, with my goodies in hand, I can start:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/181886101@N05/48069187947/in/album-72157709099177686/

OK, I'm officially stumped!  How do I insert more then one picture into a post?  I've tried every which way and all I can do is to insert the link as shown above.  "Inserting the image from URL" does nothing - it just turns pink and sits there.  Can someone help me out here?  I'll post more once I get this figured out.

Larry

Edited by steinerman
Formatting

You can insert more than one link in each post, up to a size limit, which I don't recall at the moment. The reason the link above doesn't work is because it is not a true image link. If it was it should end in .jpg usually, and I think a couple of other image types. The link above is to your album and they obviously don't allow direct links. There should be a a way to link shots, I am not sure on flikr's, some sites you can do it by right-clicking, others pops up a menu with the posting choices.

Hi Larry,

To your first question: there's no technical limit to the size of photos you can post; some folks actually link to unresized photos - and it takes an age to load them! 1024 is fine, and is what I use now.

With regard to your second problem, posting additional photos should be exactly the same process as posting the first one, with exactly the same result. What platform and browser are you using to post?

Kev

OK, let's try this one more time:

48069187947_4f48c24010_b.jpg

Hey, it works!!  Thanks Ron & Kevin!!  Oh, and FYI Kev, I use Firefox on Windows 10.  I will probably switch from Flickr to ImageShack in the near future, as it is a lot cheaper.  However, the yearly fee for ImageSjack is no longer $20 as your post states.  It's now $37.99 for a yearly subscription.

OK, back on track.  Here's a couple more pics of my bomber:

48069083296_9998ea7256_b.jpg

48069083276_7275eac6ca_b.jpg

48069187877_89297dd78a_b.jpg

Like I said, the interior leaves a bit to be desired but, unfortunately, it is what it is.  I wasn't nearly as careful modeler back then as I am now.  So let's concentrate on the exterior, OK?  The next decision I need to make involves panel lines.  Yeah, there's a gazillion of them, and as you can see, they are raised,which was probably the norm back in the 80's.

48069187862_a958f1922a_b.jpg

My question is, do I leave them as is, raised, or do I file and sand them off and score new ones so they are recessed?  It would be a rather lengthy job, but it could be done.  I'm just not sure it would be worth the effort.  Comments, anyone?

Since this is a new thread and I'm just starting, that's all I have for now.  Thanks for looking!

Larry

Rescribing.  Hate it.  I hate it because I'm never happy with the result. 

There's a lot of panel lines on that fuselage...  I think I'd just live with what's there.  BUt that's just my opinion.

Gaz

Hiya Larry

Your build is looking good so far. I'm looking at a B-17G in this scale as i cannot afford the 1/32 kit and also i don't have the space for one either. So seeing someone build one is great news for me :)

Can you remember what the fit was like when putting it together? 

Looking forward to your build Larry. 

The 1:32scale offering just isn’t a good representative of the real thing in my opinion in the forward end of business.  Just looks goofy to my eye.   

Commenting on Gazz comment above.  The real B-17 is handsome in the nose and forward section and loaded to hilt in pronounced rivets.     Too bad this is never depicted as in real realm of offers.    I built a couple Monograms in my day and totally enjoyed the efforts involved.  I always wanted to do a Bit o Lace someday.   

Thanks for sharing your build Larry. 

Troy  

Nice efforts... you can restore the raised panel lines that will get obliterated during finishing using stretched sprue but it's a pita.  I scribed one of these kits once....once.  It's a huge chore and if not done right really looks bad....  ask me how I know.  

That box top you have was from the original release of the kit as evidenced by the contest/offer sticker in the upper right corner of the box top.  You may have acquired it in the 80's but that kit (or at least the box top) is from the first releases in 1975.  I don't believe they ran that contest/offer in subsequent releases.  The box art remained the same for years but without the sticker.  I must've built at least a dozen of these during my modeling lifetime ....ah the memories.

Regarding current issues of this kit, can anyone tell me if it includes the pumpkin turret (aka Cheyenne tail turret) that came with the Promodeler version of the kit?  I seem to think it does but don't have a copy to look at.  If it does include the pumpkin turret, I need to get a copy of this kit for a project I'll be doing.

Edited by Juggernut
Content

1 hour ago, LSP_Ron said:

I believe the Shepard Paine dio book came with that boxing.  I looked at that book so many times when I was a kid I wore it out

Yes, it did, and I still have it.  It's actually a 4 page booklet.  If you like, I could scan it for you - or mail the original to you as I have no use for it.

20 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

I believe the Shepard Paine dio book came with that boxing.  I looked at that book so many times when I was a kid I wore it out

Me too...........................I still comb through my HTBDs 2nd addition regularly, and every/any time I paint figures, it gets busted out too.   My first addition literally fell apart because I used/looked at it so much as a kid. 

Evenin' gents.

I didn't get much of a chance to do anything on my model today.  My wife wanted the lower bedroom painted and I've been working on that.  And tomorrow I have to seal the exposed aggregate sidewalk around the side of the garage, so that's going to seriously cut into my play time as well.  Ask me about the joys of owning a house - and having a wife with an endless Honey-Do list!!!  :BANGHEAD2:

Anyway, I did manage to get a half hour or so on this kit.  As you can see, I didn't get very far, but I an starting to sand and fill the seams. Now it's sand, fill, examine, repeat.  Not gonna be a lot of fun for a while, but hey, the results will be worth it, I hope!

48083804217_fdd683b3f7_b.jpg

Later, guys.  Thanks for looking.

Lar