Neo

Paint decision

HI Guys 

ive been looking into changing paints, I currently use 90% Humbrol enamels and Model master for the rest. I really like these paints but all of the good washes and weathering technique are also oil based and it make complication has i always need a super perfect sealer between my paint and the weathering or else there is damage to the paint. there is not 1 build where this hasent happened.  and it make me not want to weather as much.

So im really tempted to start using MRP paint. but my problem is cost, i quoted 18 colors(2 clear coats) that i need and with shipping im at 165$ USD. On the other hand Luckymodel is having a 20% sales and they have Mig Ammo paint on sale over that, i have the same qt of colors 18 bottles (no clear coat) for 61$usd shipped. Iver never used either paint but 100$ difference is a lot of monny especially considering that this is not all that i will need. 

Has anyone have experience with these 2 paint to compare them ? should i jsut find a better clear that will protect my enamels better and stay in that route ? 

Help ! :help:

If i was going to replace my Tamiya/Xtracrylix/Vallejo paints i wouldn't think twice about doing it for MRP. From what i've seen they are a superior finish compared to AK. But as you say money talks and you could get another kit with the change for the AK range.

I haven't used MIG paints so can't comment about them, but MRP, as you already probably know, are just superb.  I've gradually built up my range over a two year period, starting with a basic RAF WW2 and Luftwaffe selection of the colours I needed the most, totalling I guess 8 different colours, plus a white and NATO black.

i use gunze /tamiya and i love it , MRP and AK/MIG on the sides for specific colors or metalics .

tamiya and gunze are cheaper and i can use them as diluted or as thick as i like . they are cheaper and so is the thinner .

i use MRP now mainly for the FS or russian colors for the exterior . for preshading and other dirty work its tamiya and gunze all the way .

tamiya and gunze are like a white shirt and jeans , its good for everything . MRP is like a suit , its more expensive but worth it if you can afford it .

MRP for me. Especially now he's releasing more colours in his aqua range so I can brush paint touch ups that need to be made after airbrushing the bulk of it (must let the Aqua paints sit in a palette for a bit to dry a little and thicken up, they are super thin from the bottle). Anything else that needs to be brush painted however, I use Vallejo model colour paints. Like Max I've built up my MRP collection over a couple of years, buying what I need for each project plus the basic primary colours. I've only just made the switch to the MRP clear coats after finishing off the Alclad ones I had. Still using Alclads for my metallic colours though so cant comment on the MRP versions. 

Posted (edited)

thanks for the comments guys

so ive used tamiya and im not a huge fan. its also not cheap to buy here unless i mail order. For clears ive been using the Alclad ones for the past year or 2 so far its been my favorite but still cant use enamel washes over it.

The merits of MRP are there no doupt , im really curious to see if anyone has experience with Mig paints. For all metalics im sticking with alclad, its expensive but insanely good. witch brings my mind back to MRP i guess

Edited by Neo

Hate Tamiya paints except for brushing. I've never EVER had consistant luck using them for the airbrush. 

M R P ALL the way for me; easiest and most silky smooth paint I've shot so far.

59 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Hate Tamiya paints except for brushing. I've never EVER had consistant luck using them for the airbrush. 

M R P ALL the way for me; easiest and most silky smooth paint I've shot so far.

Hey Brian

how fast does it run out ? im worried since MRP is strait to AB to you use tons of paint let say vs Model master tin that lasts quite a long time ?

Posted (edited)

I'm just the reverse of Brian re: Tamiya paints.  They are great to airbrush (I use Gunze Mr Leveling Thinner now - previously used Tamiya lacquer thinner), but I can never get a decent finish hand-brushing.  I have a good supply of Vallejo for hand-brushing.  I have not tried MRP yet due to the cost.

I forgot the info I was going to include re: Neo's original question.  I have never used the MIG acrylics, but I've used Vallejo Model Air and the no longer available Color of Eagles acrylics.  To me, the pure acrylics have a fairly steep learning curve to figure out the thinning ratio and air pressures needed.  I also recommend using the paint brand's thinner, and I found that priming was necessary for me to get a decent finish.  Using other types of thinners and/or not priming resulted in splatters, runs, poor adhesion, etc.

Edited by wmoran

The Ammo paints are very good. Spray well with their own thinner or Mr Levelling and give a nice smooth finish. Also, essentially odourless which is my main reason for avoiding MRP.

Never had issues with Tamiya or Gunze for airbrushing either but never got Vallejo to spray without all sorts of problems.

Posted (edited)

Humm good points wmoran. Been an enamel user 4 ever i Never prime unless i need something liker surfacer to smooth out the model.

Maybe its the reason i was never happy with acrylic s. Appart for the annoying drying in the ab tip

Edited by Neo

That really is the cool thing about MRP, since its suspended in a lacquer carrier it really bites into plastic and resin like lacquer, and maybe even better than then the MM enamels used previously.