MH-60L Kitty Hawk Review

Eagle Driver

It’s a nice looking kits as far as plastic goes.  However, it’s too bad that KH had a disconnect between the people doing the box art and decals, and the team doing the plastic.  There are issues building any accurate Operation Gothic Serpent bird from what you get in the box.  In fact, there are some issues even making a non-DAP configured bird from what you get in the box.

My two cents - I'm in the middle of building this kit, and there are a few typical Kitty Hawk issues. There are seam lines from the molds in the fuselage halves, and some of the sprue attachment points are in the worst places making removal of parts like the minigun barrels very tricky. Another typical KH problem is the abundance of ejector pin marks and flash on some parts. However, I was very impressed with the fit and look of the main cabin assembly - the only issue is that the two side pieces where the crew chief windows are need a good bit of sanding to fit the completed assembly into the fuselage halves. further - I found the fit of the motor/main rotor assembly to the fuselage to be the highlight of the build so far. Everything fell into place way better than I would have expected. I can't speak to the overall accuracy of the kit to the SOAR helos, but so far I'm actually happy with this kit.

Just picked mine up a Free Time Hobbies and they had quite a few in stock. I'll be interested to see tonight when I get home to see if it has the cover that goes over the mounting point for the wings if you don't want to build it with those attached.

Chuck

4 hours ago, otis252 said:

Just picked mine up a Free Time Hobbies and they had quite a few in stock. I'll be interested to see tonight when I get home to see if it has the cover that goes over the mounting point for the wings if you don't want to build it with those attached.

Chuck

As a note, even if your kit does come with the wing mount cover in the box, likely it won’t have the aerodynamic covers for the wing support strut lugs at the bottom of the gear leg cover.  I’m hoping that the aftermarket corrects this.

EqVci5j.jpg

Dave, you are correct. The kit does not include the covers for the wing support lugs. Hopefully this will be corrected by the AM guys. Another question concerning the weapons. Does Live Resin do a Minigun set for this Blackhawk and white ammo cans should be used for them. Thanks.

Chuck

Yes, Live Resin does make a very nice M134 minigun set for the Blackhawk.  

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/live-resin-lre-35173-m134-on-black-hawk-window-mount--246286

However, it only comes with the large ammo boxes, similar to the ones in the kit.  Those weren’t out yet for Operation Gothic Serpent.  At that time, the boxes for the M134 were standard ammo cans, only larger and holding 1500 rounds.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/239980-set-a-date-ammo-box-minigun-m134/

Fortunately, they are the same size as 40mm grenade launcher cans, except for the markings.  Legend makes the cans.

http://www-legend.co.kr/portfolio/8120/

My kit arrived today, excellently packaged which kept the box safe n sound. 

I'm no rotorhead, or know anything about the Black Hawk, so can't comment on it's accuracy or lack of.

What I will say is, 

that for my purposes, it's a bloomin' lovely looking kit. It'll reflect the subject sufficiently enough for what I require.