Which Way is Fulda?

TimW

I started this more or less on a whim a year or so ago.  I've slowly been building up the figures, vehicles, etc.

The basic premise is sometime in May, 1984, the Soviets invade West Germany.  Spearheads of 8th Guards Army are verifying they are going in the right direction, with some help from a detachment of DDR motor rifle troops.

PHtKp3Y.jpg

FjE8ijq.jpg

Edited by TimW

9 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

1984? You should have one of those guys at the bus stop looking at the sky watching a 4 ship A-10 formation rolling in! 

Soviet armor for some reason attracts depleted uranium 30mm rounds. All joking aside...great job so far! 

Cheers...Ron

Yeah, was going to make a joke about some F-4s dropping CBUs.   We have a couple of ex-USAFE guys in our hobby club.

:)

Tim W

1 hour ago, Wurzacher said:

Fulda? Just about 362 kilometres form where I am. Straight up North. Traffic jams, and a Russian tank here and there...  :coolio:

Well, the traffic at Autobahnkreuz Bad Hersfeld was too heavy, so...

On 6/15/2019 at 11:22 PM, aircommando130 said:

1984? You should have one of those guys at the bus stop looking at the sky watching a 4 ship A-10 formation rolling in! 

Soviet armor for some reason attracts depleted uranium 30mm rounds. All joking aside...great job so far! 

Cheers...Ron

I was in the Infantry at the tail end of the Cold War.   We were told that if the Warsaw Pact ever invaded, to expect most of NATO’s air power to be stuck on bases that were devastated by long range missiles launched in the first minutes of the war.   That goes for the A-10’s forward operating locations as well, Russia was quite aware of them.  Any aircraft that got off the ground would survive a short time at best.  Thank goodness we’ll never know how the war would have played out!   

Looking good!   Now you just need a scared US Army grunt (me),  hunkered down in a foxhole with a couple of puny LAW’s trying to stop all those oncoming tanks!

Great work on the T-64 in particular.  Back in the day, the -64 was very much suppose to have been an Uber-tank.  

Yeah.  Thought about that.   What's amazing is how confungulated the Soviet tank design process was.  Competing designs, factions, really bad ideas for modifications (e.g., "The Missile tanks," etc).

The 64 was a good tank for the time--but it was a lot more labor intensive than the 72 or the 80, which is why those eventually became the domininant tank.