KH 1/48 F-101B Voodoo

b757captain

Hi gents,

Here's the second half of my foray into the F-101 family, the -B. I built this one alongside the RF-101C. Most of the kits are the same, with separate sprues for each of the different variants. KH did not change the intake/wing sections for the RF but they are correct for the -B (at least to my eye). Built OOB, the only AM was the Eduard cockpit set because KH only provided instrument and side panel decals for one cockpit! Little slip-up there. The Eduard set looks a little better even though their pre-printed panel color is a little light to me.

Paint is a custom mix of Tamiya for FS16473 (ADC Gray) and Mr. Color for all the rest of the bits and pieces. The decals were a disappointment - I have gotten used to KH decals, wonderfully thin, maddeningly hard to work with but usually they look good in the end. On this kit the decals were thick, took forever to release from the backing paper and very hard to get to settle down. It took multiple applications of softener and in a few spots I resorted to dabs of thinner to get them to conform. After all that, I elected to play harda** crewchief  where there was no way my bird was going to have a speck of dust on it so no weathering.

All in all, an ok build and it looks good next to her sister on the shelf, so to me that's a win!

np6LGZP.jpg

Pyp639E.jpg

UsG0C8W.jpg

atDJa6i.jpg

YTtQKrq.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Mark

You just can't go wrong with a Century Series jet! And yes Air Defense Command jets were super clean...especially if they belonged to a Guard unit! Great job...even if the decals gave you grief it still looks very good! 

Cheers...Ron