Hasegawa 109 Accuracy: is it?

Gazzas

Hi everyone,

With HLJ having a sale, the big scale Hasegawa 109's are calling me.  Seems I've been bitten by the large scale bug while my 1/48 get less interesting.  I've built their smaller scale versions without being disappointed. 

I've read reviews online, but they're not picture heavy and don't say anything negative.

How do you guys that have built em feel?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Gaz

Well I'm no expert. I've only built the F-4 version so far and found it an enjoyable build. No tail insert, thats a plus. theres some filling to do on the cowl and and sides, just some panel lines that shouldn't be there and its called out in the instructions. Some ejection pin marks in the radiator flaps need eradication but thats not a major job. I'm not sure if the spinner is correct where the G was off. I have a couple of G-6's in the stash with lots of add ons, new spinners and whatnot. I dont think the F version needs anything per say but im an addict to theres stuff ready to throw in the kit boxes when the kit's arrive (ordered 2 F-4 versions last week). I am tempted to get the Buchon conversion for one of the G-6's and see if Pastor John is still going ahead with his G-5 bits and use the other G-6 for that. We shall see. 

Not super detailed ... but accurate enough in outline and restrained external detail.

There's enough there for the average modeller ...

... Plenty of AM going around to fill in any extra detail if you would like to go further.

As long as it's NOT the Bf.109E kit of nightmares you should be good to go.

Rog :)

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

I reviewed the G-6 (here), and while perhaps not as photo heavy as some reviews might be, certainly seems to cover the majority of the bases, I think.

That's a very helpful in-box review!  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

They're not perfect, but they're very nice models, easy to build, and look nice once you're done.  My biggest problem with them is the lack of wheel well accurate detail.  Why kit manufacturers seem incapable of replicating the correct canvas liners, bulges, stiffeners, etc, is beyond me.  Eduard nailed them in 1/48.

I understand how you feel.  But It's rarely an area I worry about because nobody, including me will ever look there once it's built.

41 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

Not super detailed ... but accurate enough in outline and restrained external detail.

There's enough there for the average modeller ...

... Plenty of AM going around to fill in any extra detail if you would like to go further.

As long as it's NOT the Bf.109E kit of nightmares you should be good to go.

Rog :)

At a show once I saw a model of an E that had a really disturbing looking area right in front of the rudder...  the horizontal stab?...  is it the Hase E?

1 hour ago, ade rowlands said:

Well I'm no expert. I've only built the F-4 version so far and found it an enjoyable build. No tail insert, thats a plus. theres some filling to do on the cowl and and sides, just some panel lines that shouldn't be there and its called out in the instructions. Some ejection pin marks in the radiator flaps need eradication but thats not a major job. I'm not sure if the spinner is correct where the G was off. I have a couple of G-6's in the stash with lots of add ons, new spinners and whatnot. I dont think the F version needs anything per say but im an addict to theres stuff ready to throw in the kit boxes when the kit's arrive (ordered 2 F-4 versions last week). I am tempted to get the Buchon conversion for one of the G-6's and see if Pastor John is still going ahead with his G-5 bits and use the other G-6 for that. We shall see. 

It's amazing how man spinner variations there are in all kinds of kits.  Even WNW's Albatros is cursed with it.  I'm not above backfilling and then sanding.  I wish I had a lathe I could stick it in then spin off the shape difference.

Well...

Let's not fight about terminology.  No kit is perfectly accurate.  I've just heard about kits where the gun troughs are too close together... too far apart...  nose is too pointy...  spinner is way off...  Prop blades too thin...  stuff like that.   Some little things are easily fixed, and those I don't mind.

But big things where it looks like your 109 is digesting a water buffalo and you have to rework the entire area between the cockpit and empennage...  those are deal killers.

I've done the G-10, thoroughly enjoyed it.  I had a little trouble with the wings-to-fuselage joint, but that may well have been my ham-fistedness rather than any fault of the kit.  Looking forward to doing the G-6 in my stash.

5 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

What does "accurate" even mean?  The "only" "accurate" 109 is the Dragon E-4?  By what standard?  Are the stitches in the rudder rib tapes precisely the same scale size as the original 1/1 scale ones?  If not, then it's not "accurate".  Is the radio compartment hatch 0.0000002 mm too wide?  If so, then it's not "accurate".  

Perhaps you could say that subjectively speaking, the Dragon E-4 is the best *looking* 109, but you can't say it's the most "accurate" without a whole lot more information.

We toss "accurate" around a lot (I do as well), but it's inaccurate to use that term when we're talking about artistic sculptures of airplanes here.  And that's what we're talking about.  These are not miniature aircraft.  They are sculptures.  They are art.  Art is not perfect (save for some works by Mozart and Beethoven).

An interesting take on it, and one I'm inclined to agree with.  Definitely agree 110% with your last sentence.