1/35 AFV Club T-34/85 (full interior)

ChuckD

Hi, all.  I needed a break from the 1/32 B-17E project for the group build, so I pulled this kit off the shelf.  I've had it for years but never had the desire to build a full interior kit until now.  Pretty happy with the results so far.  The color schemes probably aren't 100% accurate as references were all over the place.  With over 55,000 examples rolling off the assembly line during the war, I'd have to think maybe at least one came out with these colors.  :D

First the fighting compartment:

ruRAyrm.jpg

P2yPZqp.jpg

wfcslaB.jpg

siZ0I69.jpg

gdfGNCT.jpg

Next the engine compartment:
qqbqTl3.jpg

e4dcKvj.jpg

BKcKhrI.jpg

75IBYfn.jpg

xfvFSAB.jpg

With the exception of a wire or hose here or there, this is 100% out of the box.  This is a nice little kit and the fit has been excellent so far.  I'm betting this is just a scaled-down version of the Trumpeter 1/16th scale kit.  As the 1/48th T-34/76 was the first kit I built after getting back into the hobby, this kinda brings back some good memories for me.  Really been helping to restore the mojo that the Swamp Ghost had been eating.

Most impressive,   Love the efforts going on here as others have already mentioned.   

Just curious!  Have you seen the recent Russian movie titled; T-34, lately?   I was on a flight recently and saw this movie on my flight.   Total classic.  

If you can find this movie it well worth it to watch!   

Troy 

I have not seen the movie.  But, thanks for the heads up and for the compliments.  :)

I finished the hull interior this weekend.  I'm still working on painting and weathering the exterior.  I still have the turret interior and exterior weathering and painting to do.  The upper and lower hulls are dry fit right now, so I can take the kit apart for display.  I'm still debating on how I want to display this.  I could possibly do some sort of exploded view, or I could just leave a few panels removable.  Decisions...

Anyway, the upper hull interior... I had to cut off and fabricate a longer ram arm for the hatch support.  It was molded in a position suited for the upper hatch being closed.  It was a bit of a tricky thing to position correctly, but it's in there well now. 

DRm5svc.jpg

cfw6Yca.jpg

tuedR8t.jpg

kwmyYym.jpg

Exterior progress... Mostly just base-coated and chipped at this point. 

OS7w0l9.jpg

BHYcBDg.jpg

dO0UGwv.jpg

I've done a filter and a wash since these.  While I'm waiting for the oils to dry, I've moved on to building the turret, but it's pretty early in that process yet.  

More to come!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Maru.  :)

Back with another update.  The turret interior has come together.  Really happy with the chipping and weathering.  The current status of the entire project is that the lower hull is complete with weathering, tracks are installed but need weathering, upper hull is almost done being painted (then needs weathering), and the turret is glued together.  I recreated the weld bead there with stretched sprue, but need to add some texturing to the areas around it that were smoothed during sanding.  Once that's done, I can start painting the outside of the turret.  Then, we're almost done!

Anyway, on to turret interior pics:

Turret roof interior:

jTsZEJr.jpg

Turret lower interior:

40kOyQ0.jpg

GfZEX74.jpg

DzdbNaU.jpg

For some dumb reason, the shell catcher wouldn't sit perfectly straight, but c'est la vie.

w3CLzNB.jpg

YUmSkSb.jpg

The turret halves together:

aXAQpmG.jpg

et4nZwB.jpg

rKvcQha.jpg

0RpOeUJ.jpg

Edited by Gewehr 43

Thanks!  I'm still debating on how to display it.  The upper and lower hulls are still dry fit, and they fit pretty well, so I will probably leave them unglued.  I'm thinking I can do the same for the rear engine hatch and turret roof.  Those all seem to be a decent friction fit.  I might take some clear acrylic rod and do an exploded type view.  

• 2 weeks later...