Seafire Mk 47 conversion

alain11

We should suggest Monkey Madness to the rescue in the cockpit area.  Purchase the front end from Graham.   Upscale some Barracuda bits.   I thought I saw a Mk-47 empennage  from someone a while back?   The canopy seems to have gone through several variants in the production run.   Underneath it all, it’s still the chunky Matchbox offering.  

I must have have used two tubes of that lovely Squadron green stuff back in the day to fill in the cracks and seems on the beast.   

I would never recommend the Mastercasters cockpit as it is clearly underscaled. I used it in my FR47 and had to modify each part. This is unfortunately a classical problem with various sets of that brand. Ask me how I know! Moreover, it is lacking at least half of the Seafire cockpit components. 

AA productions advises to use the Matchbox / Revell kit , and provides the late canopy type , now about the cockpit ,scratch building , is the lone solution ?? !!! 

I bought the last set on E bay , I will try to do a quick  review 

Alain

9 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

IIRC Iconicair also does supply the Spiteful type empennage.

Perhaps the best way to start would be the Tamiya Mk XVI but with a lot of modificatons aka the mentioned conversion.

A Mk 22/24 would perhaps be a less complex option?

Cees

If you mean the tail, it has a different fuselage profile relative to the Matchbox kit. I tried it on my build and decided it was too much work to blend together. This was after cutting the tail off my Spitfire. 

Hi Graham, 

Nice to know you still have that project. There are areas for which finding information looked close to impossible to me. The worst ones were the LG bays and the wing pylons. The small number of planes ans their short service life did not help. The very frustrating part is the fact the only existing Warbird is close to useless as they removed the wing folding mechanism and all the cockpit systems not related to flying. 

7 minutes ago, Scotsman said:

conversion .. Hmm .. Or a complete kit?

Good question!   Depending on price, Id be down for a whole kit. One cant expect it to be cheap, but a well done 47 would be worth having.