Sign in to follow this  
steinerman

Newbe's greetings and large scale modeling history

Posted (edited)

First, a bit of introduction as to who I am. My name is Larry Steiner and I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I'm a retired electrical/controls/computer engineer who gave up my 60 hour a week job 10 years ago. I'm 76 years old, married to the same woman for 52 years, no children but we have 2 small Cairn terrors (Oops, I mean terriers), both of whom are rescue dogs. My hobbies are photography (I have a Canon DSLR and am a member of the Grand Rapids Camera Club), computers (building & repairing), gardening, and remodeling our home (My wife has the mother of all "Honey-Do" lists!) And also, since I'm a foamer, I also run Microsoft Train Simulator on my computer. What, you mean to tell me you don't know what a foamer is? It's a person who foams at the mouth at the sight of a train!

OK, I'm sure you are wondering what the @^%$*& is this greenhorn model builder doing joining a forum of large scale aircraft? Well, I built tons of kits as a kid and over succeeding years I’ve built several large kits of all kinds; aircraft, trucks, cars, and ships. However, I would not call myself a true “Modeler” as they were mostly OOB and, to be honest, quite poorly done.

Then, about 15 years ago, I bought the Scarab 38KV kit from Dumas boats. For those of you who don't know, this is a radio controlled model of a 38 ft Wellcraft Scarab racing boat. Those of you who remember 'Miami Vice" - well, this was Don Johnson's boat. It took me several years and a couple thousand dollars, but I did turn this into the Miami Vice boat. It was 60 inches in length, powered by a 15 CC gas/nitro racing engine, and topped out at about 35 MPH (actual). Since this is a large scale “anything goes” forum, I'd like to take a minute and show you a few pics of this Scarab I built.

Since this my first post and I haven't figured out how to post multiple pictures yet, here is a link to my Flickr album that contains the photos:  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/181886101@N05/albums/72157708992504978

A couple pictures show the Scarab with the cockpit off. A couple things of note: I found this guy out east who made me an electric on-board starter for the engine. It connected to the output shaft of the engine by means of a belt-driven one-way clutch gear and was powered by 24 “C” size rechargeable Ni-Cads. You can see the cases for these batteries on either side of the inside of the hull. Not only did they power the starter, they also added just enough weight so that the stern sat down in the water at just the right depth.

The second thing to note is that I had the engine exhaust routed through a scale model muffler and then to a manifold made from copper water pipe that exited through the 4 exhaust pipes at the stern. Plus, I also soldered nipples onto this manifold and ran the engine cooling water out these same 4 exhaust pipes, just like the real boat. Not to brag, but the effect was awesome!

The paint job took forever. The hull has 4 coats of Sherwin Williams Emron automotive lacquer, hand rubbed between coats. On top of this is 3 coats of S-W automotive clear-coat lacquer, hand rubbed and polished to a mirror shine.

Now, why did I join the LSP site?  Especially when my first decent, presentable model  is of a boat?  Truthfully, I like to build large models, whether they be airplanes, ships, or what-not.  If I could get my wife to let me, I’d love to get the Tamaya “King Hauler” 1:14 scale truck and a trailer with all the bells and whistles.  But alas, my wife says I have too much tied up in models as it is.  Right now I’m involved in Trumpeter’s 1:200 USS Missouri with both Pontos detail kits as well as several Eduard PE Sets.  If there is any interest here, I’ll start a build log of where I am and continue from there. 

Now, as to aircraft, I was digging around in the attic and came across (3) old Monogram WWII bomber kits; a 1:48 B-17G, a 1:48 B-29, and a 1:72 B-36 Peacemaker.  I’d guess these are of the 1980’s era.  The B-36 has never been started, but the other two are partially done.  Since I’m starting to get a wee bit bored with my Missouri build, I’m getting a bug to work on one of the big bombers, probably the B-17G, since it’s the smallest of the three.  Would there be any interest of another build log on this model?  I see there are several in the archives but unfortunately the photos are no longer available.

OK, I’ve jabbered long enough.  Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Larry

Edited by steinerman
CorrectbTypos

Welcome aboard, Larry!

:post1:

I've just moved your post here to General Discussion, where it seems a better fit.

And of course, we'd love to see your models and builds!

Kev

7 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

Welcome aboard. I work every day with Trains. I hate Trains. 

Abe, you work with trains and you hate them?  Oh my gosh my good man, why? :shrug:

3 minutes ago, Michael931080 said:

Abe, you work with trains and you hate them?  Oh my gosh my good man, why? :shrug:

I am what we call a Signalman, I think it’s called a Controller elsewhere in the world. I work 12 hour shifts. I see 96 of the bloody things in that period that works out around 8 each hour, doesn’t sound a lot but I assure you, it’s enough. It’s all just about good if they are running on time. The system just about works then. However, trains seldom run on time. Then there’s the other joys of the job, phones ringing, people wanting to get the lines blocked for engineering work when there’s little to no workable gaps of more than 5-10 minutes before you need the line back for train running. Still, 99% of the time I get to be in work on my own which is great. I could not for the life of me work a 9-5 office job. What’s that Michael Douglas movie where he just plain loses it whilst sat in traffic one day? That would be me in the office environment. My job would be great if it wasn’t for those damned trains. 

Welcome to the Forum, Larry!

I have an uncle who is a foamer.  Has a room dedicated to his hobby.  I saw it 25 years ago while he was still working as an ophthalmologist and all of it was boxes heaped on boxes heaped on top of and under a huge table which filled the center of the room.  To this day, I still don't know if he ever got his 'line' running.

There's a forum for things that aren't large scale planes here:  https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/forum/42-non-lsp-works/

Hope to see some of your stuff!

Gaz...  Former Michigander.

Welcome Larry!  I grew up in Plainwell, and my folks still live at Pine Lake in Barry County.  It's really pretty in the summer, but not so much the other 11.5 months of the year :)

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2019 at 8:51 PM, ade rowlands said:

I am what we call a Signalman, I think it’s called a Controller elsewhere in the world. I work 12 hour shifts. I see 96 of the bloody things in that period that works out around 8 each hour, doesn’t sound a lot but I assure you, it’s enough. It’s all just about good if they are running on time. The system just about works then. However, trains seldom run on time. Then there’s the other joys of the job, phones ringing, people wanting to get the lines blocked for engineering work when there’s little to no workable gaps of more than 5-10 minutes before you need the line back for train running. Still, 99% of the time I get to be in work on my own which is great. I could not for the life of me work a 9-5 office job. What’s that Michael Douglas movie where he just plain loses it whilst sat in traffic one day? That would be me in the office environment. My job would be great if it wasn’t for those damned trains. 

'Falling Down' great movie. (Not to be confused with 'Downfall', though that guy loses it too.)

Ryan

Edited by Ryan

I do go on the occasional rant like the guy in Downfall. Usually caused when I go to work and the guy on shift before me hasn’t wiped down the kitchen work surfaces and left a coffee mug ring that or they’ve used the last copy of a form and not sent for resupply.