1/32 Italeri Mirage IIIE and Cheetah E

Renegade

Odd. Stuff,Italieri did these reinforcing strips on their  C version , but none here

I feel you are some kind of a « rivet counter «  , can’t wait to see more progress

Alain 

Loving your work! If you do cast the JL-100‘s, I’d like to be first in line to purchase a set. Btw for the front end of those, have you considered using a Matra rocket pod from the Revell Hunter? 

The improvement on the pylon is huge also, the kit supplied pylons make the model look badly off from 6 feet away.

Cheers,

Marcel

5 hours ago, alain11 said:

Odd. Stuff,Italieri did these reinforcing strips on their  C version , but none here

I feel you are some kind of a « rivet counter «  , can’t wait to see more progress

Alain 

Alain, I agree, it does not make sense... Somebody at Italeri had to propose the CAD file for validation, and someone said "Looks good, go ahead..."

"Rivet counter" is such a harsh term, I simply enjoy making the parts look better ;)

27 minutes ago, Marcel111 said:

Loving your work! If you do cast the JL-100‘s, I’d like to be first in line to purchase a set. Btw for the front end of those, have you considered using a Matra rocket pod from the Revell Hunter? 

The improvement on the pylon is huge also, the kit supplied pylons make the model look badly off from 6 feet away.

Cheers,

Marcel

Thanks Marcel :)

I have actually considered making them loaded, with the oval cover plates that are slightly recessed. Thanks for the idea of the Revell Hunter pods, I'll see if I can borrow one from a friend to investigate.

In the meantime, strips of plastic card added to simulate the tread on the main wheels, and this also corrects the diameter. A little bit of filler required, then it will be done.

8P6EdG.jpg

WtgtKw.jpg

Cheers

Thanks guys :)

The brake chute fairing needs to be extended forward, and I looked at Eric's Mirage IIIO build. However, I opted to rather go old school with filler putty to build up the fairing. The putty dries very quick and is really easy to sand and shape. Here's a picture showing the progress so far, with the original kit tail fin above and the modified one below. The difference between the rudders is clearly visible.

N1BZzt.jpg

Cheers

On 7/7/2019 at 4:10 AM, ericg said:

Well done on your improvements to the kit. Glad my build has come in handy for yours.

I really like the technique that you used with the kit tires.

cheers,

Eric.

Thanks Eric, your build was very inspirational :)

Back to the intakes. They are to be cut back, but I am adjusting the angle just a bit, so that they don't slant back so much on the lower part. The port intake (on the right) trunk has been cut back already, but not on the panel line, and the splitter plate still to be trimmed the same. The red lines show where the front of the trunk shouldn't and should line up. Once they are both done, I'm making resin copies of them, because I want to build some Mirages and don't want to do this again...lol

6jovX7.jpg

Cheers

Another update.

The instrument cowl test fit, and it doesn't interfere with the windshield fitment. What a relief... :)

1jzEUl.jpg

The kit brake chute cone diameter is too big, and I almost have it reduced to the correct diameter.

Ckv9BY.jpg

Received replacement rocket pod cone for the JL-100 from a friend's spares box :D

Wi1NHM.jpg

MbtQR4.jpg

Brief overview of the additional and modified parts so far. 

UO4Ksk.jpg

Cheers

Wow, great update, and the scratched/modded parts look really excellent. Although Im not really a "Mirage guy" myself, (I will be getting a new -5/C from KHM though!) I'm sure someone will be by to ask if you an produce them in resin. :lol:

On 7/10/2019 at 4:31 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Wow, great update, and the scratched/modded parts look really excellent. Although Im not really a "Mirage guy" myself, (I will be getting a new -5/C from KHM though!) I'm sure someone will be by to ask if you an produce them in resin. :lol:

Thanks for the compliments :)

Let's see what the final product of the Mirage 2000 comes out like. Injection molding does have some limitations.

Anyway, my full time job has been hectic for the past week, leaving me with very little time for building models. The basic shape for the new JL-100 pods are done, and looks very different from the kit parts. Now I can start marking and cutting out the 6 x blast vents, and adding detail to them.

ZnLcnA.jpg

Cheers